Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My saga continues...
Can any of you think of anything that would cause Beau's (mourning dove youngster) legs to appear red and swollen? There hasn't been any trauma, he uses both of them without any signs of distress and has good gripping strength with toes on both feet. The feet are fine, no swelling. Swelling starts above feet. I guess you would call it lower legs and knees. Both of them equally. Will try to get a picture later when my daughter is home and can help hold him.

Gina

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mycoplasma synoviae infection can lead to swelling of legs in pigeons and doves.
Treatment is with Doxycycline Tylan - Doxy-T, Tilmicosin, chlortetracycline, oxytetracycline, tylosin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That fits. I did notice a very slight swelling around left eye lid last evening. I thought it was just irritation from a bit of Exact during feeding. He tends to get food all over his face when eating. I don't have any of those on hand at the moment but I can get Tetracycline from pet store.. I do have Ornacyn with is an Erthromycin. Package says for respiratory diseases. Would that work?

Gina

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to wonder why he continues to get new infections. I understand no one antibiotic cures everything, but he has been on Sulfa and Baytril and once those were stopped he went directly to Flagyl. You would think he'd have some type of immunity to new bugs - meaning infections. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts