Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

What do you all use for bedding and nesting materials?

I have been using hay as a general bedding material, adding twigs and tobacco stems as nesting fodder. I've been wondering about pine shavings, or cedar shavings as something to add to nests for insulation- any negative side effects to consider? We have a couple of horses, so we keep the pine shavings for them... if it'll work for the birds, so much the better.

How about shredded paper or shredded newsprint? It would be nice to use it for something, besides just recycling. Add a little "bio" to the "degradable" if you get my drift.;)

Any other thoughts, suggestions, or cautions? Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like pine needles and birds seem to be pretty fond of them as well. The price is certainly right :)
I do put a nest felt in the pan then let them go to it with the pine needles.
I collect them off the lawn then dry a years worth on a screen in the basement.
works for me
Tom

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Tobacco stems, ripped husk of coconut, hay, thin stick on the coconut leaf (dont know whats exactly the phrase for that), dry twigs of thin small size, etc etc.

For some of my pairs I keep a clay pot and will beach sand in it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like pine needles and birds seem to be pretty fond of them as well. The price is certainly right :)
Tom
Tom:

Any particular type of pine needles seem to work best? Longer ones, I would guess...

Sorry SREESHS, no coconut trees in WI, USA. Too cold here for that.:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Tom:

Any particular type of pine needles seem to work best? Longer ones, I would guess...

Sorry SREESHS, no coconut trees in WI, USA. Too cold here for that.:D

Thanks!
I think they are loblolly pines, they have the long pine needles, but you can help by making a base for the nest. I use stall dry for horse stalls or dust free kitty litter, or you could use sand, then put some pine shavings on top of that, then let them build their pine needle nests on top of that, or twigs from the yard if you let them out BEFORE they have eggs in the nest, but I would not let them out after they have eggs and or young in the nest. you never know if a parent bird will not make it back to help with the brooding and or feeding of the young. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Norway Pines would have long needles as well. I use pine needles as well as they are very plenatiful here in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tobacco stems, ripped husk of coconut, hay, thin stick on the coconut leaf (dont know whats exactly the phrase for that), dry twigs of thin small size, etc etc.

For some of my pairs I keep a clay pot and will beach sand in it.
do the pigeons like the sand as bedding in there clay nesting pot ??

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
do the pigeons like the sand as bedding in there clay nesting pot ??
They need something more to grab onto. Helps keep their legs from splaying out. Besides, the adult birds love gathering the materials and bringing them to the nest box to build a nest. It's important to them to let them do that. I just put the materials in the loft and let them collect it. It's fun to watch them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They need something more to grab onto. Helps keep their legs from splaying out. Besides, the adult birds love gathering the materials and bringing them to the nest box to build a nest. It's important to them to let them do that. I just put the materials in the loft and let them collect it. It's fun to watch them.
thank you . do you think if the pigeons do/not like the nest or the nesting materials given they will not nest . as im having problems with my cock bird ..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What problems are you having? BTW, cedar shavings are bad for birds.

·
Registered
579 Posts
When I first built my loft I had pine shavings. Then I started listening to people, and saw what the guy I was buying birds from was doing. So on my way home from work the other day I pulled into a parking lot with an empty plastic bag, pulled up under a huge pine tree and filled my bag with long pine needles. I went home removed the pine shavings and threw the pine needles on the loft floor. Within 4 hrs 1 of my birds had alot of pine needles up in the nesting bowl. It works, keeps the bugs down also.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Last year I put pine needles, straw, and oak leaves in my loft when the birds were nest building. Most of them preferred oak leaves. It surprised me but I was happy because I have oak trees all around my lot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Last year I put pine needles, straw, and oak leaves in my loft when the birds were nest building. Most of them preferred oak leaves. It surprised me but I was happy because I have oak trees all around my lot.
Nice to know... :) i will give that a shot also.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

How long are your pine needles. Mine will grab the long needles before everything else. They couldn't care less for the shorter needles though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How long are your pine needles. Mine will grab the long needles before everything else. They couldn't care less for the shorter needles though.
The pine needles are the smaller ones that come off of the white pines. That is all I have in my local area.

Jay: Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mine are about 6 to 8 inches not sure what sort of a pine tree

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The pine needles are the smaller ones that come off of the white pines. That is all I have in my local area.

Jay: Did you get my PM?

I'm sorry, I thought I'd answered you. Just sent you a PM.
As far as the needles, I buy them from a member here and have them sent from Florida, as all we have are the short ones around here too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have access to long pine needles if anyone needs some. Just pay the shipping and I will gather, box and send them for you. I live in Sacramento CA if thats closer then where anyone else gets them from.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here are my Pine Needles I get

1 - 20 of 21 Posts