Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use hay/straw in my pigeon cages, should I Be? I have 30 pigeons, how often should I be cleaning their loft? thanks tina

·
Registered
169 Posts
hhhaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

ok first are you using hay or straw as there is a differance one should use hay as staw can damage a new egg second are you useing it on the floor where i think i read four inches on floor turn it over once a week and change once a month. ( i prefer to use plywood floor and quick scrape daily and good clean weekly ) as for pigeons you sound like you may be a good candidate to rescue birds in need of homes as they come free and yet very rewarding providing a home for a wayward friend good luck :)

·
Banned
297 Posts
HAY! :) I have 4 doves. I use hay also! It is probably the best thing. Clean ther cage every two days! Thats what I do. Check there water every day and the food! Thats all I can tell ya! I hope all goes well!

Your new friend,
Bird_girl(Ronni) :p

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
:confused:
Dunno... the floor of my loft is cement (i.e. it is the back porch / patio)... it gets scraped and swept daily and a good hosin' and scrubin' with water & bleach weekly.

I've seen pics of lofts with staw or some sort of bedding on the floor, but I've always wondered if that would be a harbor for mites, lice & ticks? :confused: I've even read about some "old timers" using dried and packed manure :eek: on the floor of the loft.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Hi Hi!!!

Me either! You sould try it! Its probably a good idea! It will give your pigeons someplace to lay to! :)

Bird_girl(Ronni)

·
Banned
297 Posts
I just asked my mom and she said that maybe you should put some sawdust or something down that would not conduct cold air or heat! My mok is always right take her advise!!! :)

Trust me if I don't I always end up wrong! LOL! :p

Bird_girl(Ronni)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Bird_girl(Ronni said:
Me either! You sould try it! Its probably a good idea! It will give your pigeons someplace to lay to! :)

Bird_girl(Ronni)
:confused: Hmmmm... dunno. I've got nest boxes and nest bowls for that and I'm all about a "way clean" loft so I'm not sure that any kind of bedding on the floor is really a must... not saying that it is "bad"... just that there are more then one way of doing things.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Maybe your right. But in the summer you might want to put some wood or something that does not contract heat! I am sure you keep it really clean! :p

Bird_girl(Ronni)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Bedding for cages

I use hay/straw in my pigeon cages, should I Be? I have 30 pigeons, how often should I be cleaning their loft? thanks tina
Tina,

The conversation on this post got a little off base. First of all, you say cages ? What size are they, are you keeping the birds inside ?
Everyone will have an opinion, but for an inside cage, you might consider cedar chips, avaiable at your local pet store.
A loft is a different story. And Zig, you have a perfect setup, don't change a thing !! I personally use oak floor grates, with no other floor material at all.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I use pine shavings They work well for my needs. But I raise fantails they are more of a ground bird. And this keeps them cleaner in the tail. If you have flying birds. I would not use anything. Just clean often. In a small pen where they will not fly. Yes shavings will work there too. :)

·
Banned
297 Posts
I think you all are wrong! (LOL) My idea is better! I think you should take a big piece of wood and put it in the bottom! :D

Bird_girl(Ronni)

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I did use something on the floor I use ground corn cob, any more though I just scrape and use the ground cob for the Individual breeding boxes. Zigs right about the straw.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Ya well Zig is right about alot of things. He reminds me of my mom. Thats creepy. SHE IS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!! Would wood be a good idea???? :confused:

Bird_girl(Ronni)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've read where some lofts use wood pellets spread about 2-3" on the floor. The kind of pellets that are burned in a wood burning stove and cost about $4 for a 40 lb bag. They change the pellets out every 6 months. Corn cob litter is good stuff, too.

I would stay away from using straw or hay as nesting material unless you know it is sanitary. It can have harmful bacteria that can kill babies. Tobacco stems or pine needles are best.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, this was a fun thread to read. In my cages (indoor) I use pet pee pee pads, it allows me to see bowel movements and aids me in predicting any sort of abnormalities. I also use them with sick birds, as it cuts back on dust and are quickly disposable, hypoallergenic, warm, absorbent, and leak proof. (helps to keep germs confined). I cut them down to fit into nest bowls.

Outside I use rubber coated grates. Washable, unlike wood that can store ecoli and other unsavory parasites/bacteria. But I do live in Florida, where humidity and wood and germs is a big no no. Tics and ants love the wood, especially if it's dead. I take some pine needles that I collect and put them down in one area of the cage (outdoors) to give them the option of nest building or just standing on if they prefer.

Everyones ideas are great, the main thing to remember is what ever you use...keep it clean! =) yong :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I did use something on the floor I use ground corn cob, any more though I just scrape and use the ground cob for the Individual breeding boxes. Zigs right about the straw.
Ground corn cob. That sounds safe and effective. Where does one get such a thing and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would stay away from using straw or hay as nesting material unless you know it is sanitary. It can have harmful bacteria that can kill babies. Tobacco stems or pine needles are best.
I use pine needles or Timothy hay in my nest bowls. I only use the small Timothy hay bales from the pet store meant for guinea pigs. It seems like it's been doing ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts