Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, tell me if I’m a total idiot for even thinking about this, but my question is, is it possible to befriend a squab? Secondly, how would I go about it? And, lastly .... would this put IT (not born yet) in any danger?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Yes, it's possible. Do you have pigeons incubating eggs? Please don't remove the babies, it's not easy raising them. The parents will do a much better job.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's possible. Do you have pigeons incubating eggs? Please don't remove the babies, it's not easy raising them. The parents will do a much better job.
Yes, Baby Mama is sitting on two eggs. One is her first try this winter before she had a mate that she abandoned when she realized it was a dud, I guess then laid two more duds which got eaten, either by her or her constant companion, her mother, Curly. (Maybe Curly's (mate and brother (??) Moe and Larry, ate them!?) All I know is every speck of them disappeared and I certainly didn't take them and my dog couldn't have possibly gotten to their nest which was totally hidden from predators! And, no rats in my high-rise!!, I have no intention of taking the squab from the nest until I know more about befriending it. I know it has weeks of growing up. Its mother is from last year and is very tame while nesting. In fact, I put her and brother in my armpits while I gave them a softer nest when they were just a few weeks old. Her mother, Curly, had made such an abysmal nest I just couldn't help myself. So, Baby Mama grew up with lots of interaction with me. Putting food in front of her and her brother, etc.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no intention of chasing off the parents. I'm just wondering after the egg is hatched, how I go about it other than getting it to know me by being around the nest a lot like I did with its mother. Its mother, Curly is semi-wild even though I was around her and her brother from an egg on to flight. Even picked them up to give them a more comfortable nest. But, they were on my girlfriend's balcony. My deck chair is right beside the nest and Baby Mama puts up with sitting in our deck chair right beside her. Big Daddy,,.. not so much. I just want to know what the mechanics of befriending the squab would be.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no intention of chasing off the parents. I'm just wondering after the egg is hatched, how I go about it other than getting it to know me by being around the nest a lot like I did with its mother. Its mother, Curly is semi-wild even though I was around her and her brother from an egg on to flight. Even picked them up to give them a more comfortable nest. But, they were on my girlfriend's balcony. My deck chair is right beside the nest and Baby Mama puts up with sitting in our deck chair right beside her. Big Daddy,,.. not so much. I just want to know what the mechanics of befriending the squab would be.
Oh, by the way, the squab should be born on or around the 26th of this month (April).
First of all, tell me if I’m a total idiot for even thinking about this, but my question is, is it possible to befriend a squab? Secondly, how would I go about it? And, lastly .... would this put IT (not born yet) in any danger?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Don't disturb the parents too much for the first 10 days. Once they start leaving the babies alone during the day, you can spend some time with them. Give them headscratches etc, but move away when the parents come back to feed them.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris here …. Thank you, Marina, for your learned response. You’ll probably be sorry for giving me yourself as target for asking questions now. I’ll probably have a million as time goes on. So, if my questions start annoying you, please let me know so I can go annoy someone else. If I could ask you a couple (or three) questions, I'd appreciate your opinion as I am very new to this world, which I have grown to love and don't want to make any mistakes.
1. When the babies are a week or so older (squabs would be 16 days old), I want to put up a 2-sided blind, built out of plywood, with a food and water station (temporary one already in place with a golf umbrella over top) No food station though. They have to walk across the balcony for their food (about 30’). The blind is to protect the family from predators, snow, and sometimes 120km winds here on the 9th floor. We will likely have this kind of weather into May (live in Canada). The blind also has a roof on it made out of terry cloth to shade the sun. I did this last year (a very temporary structure) when Baby Mama and her brother were born, (I actually put them in my armpits as I made the changes to their nest to make them more comfortable), hahaha. My girlfriend, whose balcony they were born on, almost fainted! They didn't seem any worse with the whole affair. They were a couple of weeks old.
2. In this nursery .... they are in a flower pot with last year's dirt. I would like to make a very light-weight mattress of sorts, padded very slightly that fits the pot. I'm thinking a little comfort can't hurt!? If it's the size of the pot and stuffed a tiny bit, it wouldn't get messy and maybe block their oxygen like happens sometimes with human babies.
My husband calls my girlfriend and myself the “Crazy bird ladies” of building seventy-three! This is probably why .... no?! (I also have four pairs of sparrows that I have supported for almost four years that live at the opposite end of my balcony from the pigeons).
3. My last question is, I just checked on Holy and Moly and they are quite active under Big Daddy and sort of digging a trench in the dirt. Even though I wasn’t going to mess with them for a while, would it be horrible if I moved their dad off of them and put a paper towel over the dirt and then set them back down on it? I know I’m thinking with a “non-pigeon brain,” but now I’m worried this could hinder their breathing in the dirt somehow!?
(Sorry, I do go on!!)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
It's a nice idea to close up the balcony to give them more protection against the elements. However, don't disturb them too much now. The paper towel and the mattress will be too slippery and might cause splayed leg in the babies. Rather try and gather some small twigs, this will be a better option and more natural.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris here …. Thank you, Marina, for your learned response. You’ll probably be sorry for giving me yourself as target for asking questions now. I’ll probably have a million as time goes on. So, if my questions start annoying you, please let me know so I can go annoy someone else. If I could ask you a couple (or three) questions, I'd appreciate your opinion as I am very new to this world, which I have grown to love and don't want to make any mistakes.
1. When the babies are a week or so older (squabs would be 16 days old), I want to put up a 2-sided blind, built out of plywood, with a food and water station (temporary one already in place with a golf umbrella over top) No food station though. They have to walk across the balcony for their food (about 30’). The blind is to protect the family from predators, snow, and sometimes 120km winds here on the 9th floor. We will likely have this kind of weather into May (live in Canada). The blind also has a roof on it made out of terry cloth to shade the sun. I did this last year (a very temporary structure) when Baby Mama and her brother were born, (I actually put them in my armpits as I made the changes to their nest to make them more comfortable), hahaha. My girlfriend, whose balcony they were born on, almost fainted! They didn't seem any worse with the whole affair. They were a couple of weeks old.
2. In this nursery .... they are in a flower pot with last year's dirt. I would like to make a very light-weight mattress of sorts, padded very slightly that fits the pot. I'm thinking a little comfort can't hurt!? If it's the size of the pot and stuffed a tiny bit, it wouldn't get messy and maybe block their oxygen like happens sometimes with human babies.
My husband calls my girlfriend and myself the “Crazy bird ladies” of building seventy-three! This is probably why .... no?! (I also have four pairs of sparrows that I have supported for almost four years that live at the opposite end of my balcony from the pigeons).
3. My last question is, I just checked on Holy and Moly and they are quite active under Big Daddy and sort of digging a trench in the dirt. Even though I wasn’t going to mess with them for a while, would it be horrible if I moved their dad off of them and put a paper towel over the dirt and then set them back down on it? I know I’m thinking with a “non-pigeon brain,” but now I’m worried this could hinder their breathing in the dirt somehow!?
(Sorry, I do go on!!)
It's a nice idea to close up the balcony to give them more protection against the elements. However, don't disturb them too much now. The paper towel and the mattress will be too slippery and might cause splayed leg in the babies. Rather try and gather some small twigs, this will be a better option and more natural.
Thank you, thank you! I read pine needles are good bedding. But my husband can only get spruce and larch at work. Are they okay? I live in a fancy community with lots of fancilly (is that a word?) trimmed trees but I would have to trim them to get twigs (our lawns are literally vacuumed!) and don't think they would appreciate my non-landscaper self trimming the trees for my illegal 9th-floor apartment pigeon raising!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts