Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this summer I had a barn pigeon walk into my yard and hopped up on the door step. couldnt fly and when I caught it there was one small drop of blood on one wing. I put it in the chicken house for the night so the wild cats wouldnt get it. theres also a male canadian goose, one small rabbit, and 20 laying hens in there in seperate rooms. the next morning I fed it along with everyone else and in three days it was flying all over the place. so from then on I left the door open as I did chores thinking it would fly out and be on its way. it decided to stay and has been here everysince. I keep my critters inside because the DNR here decided to bring back the birds of prey and whenever I let my laying hens out one ends up dead. eagles are the biggest problem. I have been trying to find this pigeon a GF as I'm pretty sure its a male. anyway it makes the pigeon sounds and turns around in circles, someone told me that meant it was male.?? someone else told me not to let it stay with my layers because it would give them some sort of disease. can I get some feed back on this and maybe some help with finding the GF? and if there were wild pigeons at the neighbors place how could I lure them here? He just shoots them..
thanks

hoppy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well, this may sound like alot of trouble, but it would be the best thing,IMO. build a little loft with an aviairy...(no larger holes in the wire more than 1/4 of an inch to keep mice out and hawks claws away) find a roller or tumbler type pigeon, a hen of course and put them in together. they would have a safe place to nest and feed, in the spring when the hawks are in lower numbers perhaps you can let them out to fly when your home to watch over them. If you just get another pigeon or attract other ferals to your place the hawks are going to look at it as a buffet, so you will attract more birds of prey also, so I would not attract more to your site. with their own coop or loft, they can have a place of their own without having to be housed with the chickens, which is best, they can transfer dieseases to each other, some the chickens can tolerate but pigeons can not and visa versa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts