Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to become a beginner racer, which this would be my first year. My question is a complete noob question but how else can you learn?

My question is: Can Feral Pigeons be Raced? So lets say a Pigeon (Common Blue Bar that you would find in San Francisco) has been staying around my place and entering my make-shift loft. Can I home him/her and use him/her to learn the ends and outs of club events before actually purchasing pedigreed birds?

Thank You

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
First welcome to Pigeon Talk! All questions are welcomed here weather they come from new flyers or experienced verterans. We all learn from each other here so feel free to ask whatever questions you may have on pigeons.

For your feral friend, I'm sorry to say that competitively it wont stand a chance with racing homers. If you're planning on racing you might as well start with racing homers.;)

Where are you located? there may be a few flyers around your area that might be willing to start you out with some if you have a loft already.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for your response and help. I am in Oakley California. And I wasn't hoping to win any races with the feral bird or anything like that I just wanted to learn the basics and get comfortable with the race environment with the bird.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well to have your bird compete in a race it needs to be banded with an registered AU band. You wouldn't be able to race your feral because there would be no way to get a band on him/her now(assuming your bird isn't banded). We band race birds as early as 4-5 days after they are hatched. This band allows them to eligable for Club and futurity races.

You should create a thread and ask if anyone can help you out around your area. Another option is to buy your birds.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I started racing last year in Connecticut and two local clubs and a member here on PT (thanks again Ed) were very generous in helping me to get going. I enjoyed it all thoroughly -

Hugh
Ed's a great dude, a very generous guy. I think he got his first birds from a PT member also. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again Thank You. Yeah I knew about the birds being banded shortly after birth and did at as a small child, I just forgot. I remember be really small and slipping the band over the squabs feet. I actually remember coming out one morning and one of the bands had slipped off of one of the squabs feet and having to reapply it. Weird how memories come back.

I don't remember us buying the parents of those babies. I wonder where my father got the Parents. Wonder if he caught them? Hmmm. Wish I could ask him.

Once again Thanks

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
No problem.;)

Yeah that happens sometimes and if you don't keep a good eye on the bands slipping off you'll have an unbanded bird before you know it. By the 10th -11th day you won't be able to get that band on depending on the size of your breed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Breed a couple of young birds from your feral and try them, as long as they are banded with the correct bands you can race them, you never know, it could be a fast strain, anything that is a homer has a chance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The question is will the club allow him to race feral pigeons? I surely wont allow it (no offense). I spend too much on medication and in keeping my birds healthy, and every race fancier will try to avoid their race birds on getting any disease in the basket. So it will be very hard to get someone to agree in letting your feral birds to compete. Most of the club members will gladly donate some birds to you and asked you to get rid f our feral. So find a nearest club in your area and just inquire you will be surprize how friendly are the club members.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Breed a couple of young birds from your feral and try them, as long as they are banded with the correct bands you can race them, you never know, it could be a fast strain, anything that is a homer has a chance.
you've answered something I've been wondering, thanks.

I was reading many many pro pigeon articles and non of them could describe valid difference between feral and homing pigeon, just cosmetics like feral have disease or homers are banded and my favorite "thoroughbred" all it means is that its breed from good strain but that strain had to come from somewhere, all feral pigeons in US are descendants of the dutch 1600 arrival which where homing(maybe not racing but homing)
so who is to say I cant breed a pair of ferals and for my own hobby train then to return from a distance?
besides I heard npa is trying to establish ferals as a new breed.
whats your opinion???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You dearly for this reply. One of the best replies on this entire forum that I have read in my short time lurking. Truly intelligent reply and I am grateful for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The question is will the club allow him to race feral pigeons? I surely wont allow it (no offense). I spend too much on medication and in keeping my birds healthy, and every race fancier will try to avoid their race birds on getting any disease in the basket. So it will be very hard to get someone to agree in letting your feral birds to compete.
How would well kept and taken care of offspring of the original feral birds automatically be in bad health and dirty and with disease? Truly puzzling. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have an older member in our club that breeds a ferral to a homer and has raced the young. He calls it is "special strain" and that he is going to win with them someday. He's working on the third generation this year. Remember this sport is supposed to be for fun.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How would well kept and taken care of offspring of the original feral birds automatically be in bad health and dirty and with disease? Truly puzzling. :confused:
That's the thing! Racing pigeon fancier are very meticulous when it comes to the health of their birds. Again before they even allow you to race your feral they will eventually donate good quality birds. If you were in my club I guarantee you will walk away with some good quality birds to get you started. Also how do you know that the parents of your birds don't carry anything? Not unless you have taken them to the Vet and took all the necessary testing to make sure your birds is healthy and keep all your required medication, vaccination then maybe some club will consider you in joining their club. I'm not saying don't keep ferals but keep them at home as a pet and not to compete with racing. I do know a guy that toss and train feral pigeons and he said their good to about 30 to 50 miles after that they never make it back home.

G

·
I dont think they would know if it was a feral or not if it was banded unless you told them ,I have seen some sad looking homers in my day so whos to say wats what :confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
The American Racing Pigeon Union has a program for new members just getting started. Pigeons are donated by established members. I would personally not recomend trying to reinvent the wheel with ferals. I understand your thinking in just wanting to get used to pigeons again, but you can get used to homing pigeons just as easily and have somthing of value. Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The American Racing Pigeon Union has a program for new members just getting started. Pigeons are donated by established members. I would personally not recomend trying to reinvent the wheel with ferals. I understand your thinking in just wanting to get used to pigeons again, but you can get used to homing pigeons just as easily and have somthing of value. Jim
Thank You for this information.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.