Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys,i have posted a thread earlier about bent beak of my baby pigeon which am hand feeding. please read the thread ''beak bent away 4m each other''.

There is no negative symptom of any infection or canker.

you guys have suggested me calcium and vitamin. am trying to giv some or a little part of the human supplement shelcal for calcium and vitamin D.Please suggest me the right dose of it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Leting others to tell you about the dosage, I will say that calcium will serve for a good diet from now on (must be given periodically, 3-5 days with 2-3 weeks pause afterward), it won't cure the beak displacement. The bird will remain like this and will need to be handfed to survive.

There is a procedure for corecting the beak in the book Avian Medicine, Principles and Practices, but probably is beyond what you can do. Here is a webpage about scissor-beak and the chapter from that book, with illustrations:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/scissorsbeak.html

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
what is your method of hand feeding? was there any possible strain put on the birds beak?
if it was a deficiency, I would expect other parts of the bird to be affected as well.
feathers looking good? leg/ wing joints doing ok?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Leting others to tell you about the dosage, I will say that calcium will serve for a good diet from now on (must be given periodically, 3-5 days with 2-3 weeks pause afterward), it won't cure the beak displacement. The bird will remain like this and will need to be handfed to survive.

There is a procedure for corecting the beak in the book Avian Medicine, Principles and Practices, but probably is beyond what you can do. Here is a webpage about scissor-beak and the chapter from that book, with illustrations:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/scissorsbeak.html

Andrei, the bird doesn't have a scissor beak.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
maha vishnu, can you keep this all in one thread? It just gets confusing with 2 threads, as people are answering to both, and will be having to repeat things. Just keep adding to this thread now.

I had also mentioned in the other thread that it could have been caused by hand feeding.
Can you answer the question of how was the bird fed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts