Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, introducing my little Berliner Kurze group!
Glamour shots soon. hehe

The Brown Bar hen and the Blue Splash cockbird are one pair, the Mealy Bar cockbird and Blue Grizzle hen are the other.

Left to right: Light Blue Grizzle hen, Mealy Bar cockbird, Blue Splash cockbird

Same little group of mugsies. How cute and toughie is that little blue splash??

Mealy Bar cockbird and the Brown Bar hen

It was hard to get a good shot because they zitter every time I pay any attention to them!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Really getting into the SF thing!

When are you going to build a big loft for all the feeders you will need?

FYI, I'm posting an offer for the Pageant of Pigeons Show Catalog that I just know you will have to have!!!! Here's the pic:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have as big a loft as I can have right now, LOL. Maybe I could sleep in it and let the birds have the apartment? hehe

I want the show catalog! My first show! oooo where do I get one?

Terry, glad you like them! They are such a hoot, I love the zittering. It's just so adorable and they are a nice group. I think they'll really polish up good after they've settled in, had a bath or two, some tea...

:D

G

·
I agree birds with that zitter have got it going on and I think they are way kool plus so cute too ... gonna have to start calling your loft Got Zitter loft soon lol :p

·
Registered
386 Posts
Colors they should produce

The brown bar and the mealy (red bar) should produce all barred birds, and I would say of any color: Blue, Mealy and Brown. Amy dilutes (short downed, almost naked chicks) will be the dilutes of the above colors, Silver, Cream, or Khaki, respectively, and will be hens. If the Cock bird is truly brown, reather than Silver (Hard to tell sometimes) All mealues will be cocks, and all blues will be hens.

The other is even more difficult. The blue splash could also be grizzle, and if it is, all the young would be homozygous grizzle, which is a very attractive color, primarily white with dark skin, beak and toenails. If the parent is truly blue splashed, young would be blue, grizzle (heterozygous) and varying degrees of splashed.

Pigeon genetics is fairly simple in the basics, suggest you go to frank Mosca's website if interested. He's a frequent poster here on PT, mostly in the genetics forum.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rising stars got you covered on the genetics, i go to Franks site almost everyday since i found it. Maybe it will sink in, in a year or so... LOL!
I have a Question, just for my own education, can this breed feed their own Young? Dave
The shorter and thicler the beak, the less likely that it can feed its own. by the pictures karijo posted, I would say probably. The white splash would probably have difficulty.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah they are so much fun. I have to say that any difficulty with the breed regarding raising babies is more than made up for with their personalities! they are easy-going, friendly, calm, and love to show-off! this makes them totally worth the hassle of having pumpers and hand-feeding.

meanwhile, i am acutally only keeping the grizzle and splash, the mealy and the brown are gorgeous little birds but the beaks are just a little bit off. still beautiful though, but i have to be super picky on account of my space limitations.
:(

i may pair the splash and grizzle for a round of babies, though i think they'd come out really light. there's a blue bar cockbird and a grizzle cockbird i'm going to see this weekend, one of whom may be a better match for the grizzle hen.

i need a bigger loft...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts