Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you tell what would be the best book to buy as a complete guide to keeping doves in a wallcote in the uk., i ask this as i know that all advice here is given with great experience, and that life itself is a great teacher, however, as a quick reference book, i would find it handy, what is best?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
can you tell what would be the best book to buy as a complete guide to keeping doves in a wallcote in the uk., i ask this as i know that all advice here is given with great experience, and that life itself is a great teacher, however, as a quick reference book, i would find it handy, what is best?
The best all round book I have found for the management of pigeons is Dr. Collin Walker's book "The Flying Vet's Pigeon Health and Management". It is a very well written and comprehensive guide to virtually everything you could want to know from loft construction to health, disease, treatment, diet, etc.

I got mine from Siegel's here in the states. I do not know where you would get it in the UK. Maybe just a google search would provide results. Here is a link to the book at Siegel's:

http://www.siegelpigeons.com/catalog-health.html

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both,
Spirit wings, i already have that book ty,
Learning,
I have looked for that book, and it seems only available stateside at a cost of 148.00dollars.
I have checked thru amazon .uk and ebay, but cannot find it ty both tho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked fo rWendell Levi's The Pigeon...amazon price £75.00, TOO RICH, for me., i wonder if the libary could get it!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
"golden cockrel "do great books with a lot of info,i borrowed copy from library,also i have a good book by matthew vreinds-"pigeons" which was only £6 or so from blackwells,it covers everything from lofts,feeding,healthcare and breeding etc as well as some great pics and illustrations

·
Registered
265 Posts
"golden cockrel "do great books with a lot of info,i borrowed copy from library,also i have a good book by matthew vreinds-"pigeons" which was only £6 or so from blackwells,it covers everything from lofts,feeding,healthcare and breeding etc as well as some great pics and illustrations
I agree. I borrowed Vriends' book from my library then bought it over the net. It was inexpensive (only $18.00 Australian) and it has stood me in good stead as a ready reference so I don't bother people on this site too much. Its full title is: Pigeons, Everything about Purchase, Care, Management, Diet, Diseases, Behaviour by Matthew M. Vriends & Tommy E. Erskine. ISBN 0-7641-2991-0. I would love to get Dr Colin Walker's book too, but funds don't run to it just yet. I am lucky in that he practises close-by and when I have a vet problem I just ring him up and get personalized advice and mail order medication, so help comes straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts