Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best feed or combination of ingrediants if I am starting a prisoner loft with the purpose of breeding different breeds?

I have people telling me they use grocery store "wild bird feed" and on the other hand I have people who give me a long list for thier special blend feed.

I need a balance between healthy birds and making sure my children eat as well. LOL
What's best?

Randy Cone

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
A good pigeon mix with 15 to 17 % protein....more protein for breeders...or you can get a pigeon mix and add chicken layer mash to it to add the protein...wild bird mix would not have enough variety for pigeons breeding. don't forget your minerals too!:p:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a ready made mix available from a supply company? We used to get Purina Pigeon Chow from the old Ag-supply mill but that's long gone.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Higher protein on breeders like spirit wings said. You can go as high as 18%, too. I noticed that when I put chicken layer pellets (16%) mix with grain, babies grow faster. At feed store they sell different pigeon feeds with different protein concentration. It may even have labell called breeders so you can get that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts