Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to stock up on pigeon supplies. Only have one healthy bird now, 3 more on there way next week, plan to breed racing homers. But, before I end up in a "situation" I am making a Pigeon First Aid Kit because we live in the middle of nowhere.

Sice I read that canker is the more popular illness, what is the BEST med to buy for Canker? If pill form, how do you administer pills to a bird? And cheapest place to purchase it?

Anything else htat is an absolute neccessity to have on hand that a local store would not carry?

Thank you!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
browse the pigeon supply sites, they have plenty of meds. metronidazole is the best for canker, you can buy tablets and or powder to treat the whole flock. there are others to treat canker as well, ronidazole is good too, you can switch it up to keep resitance low. hopefull you will not have to use it. but if you plan on racing and sending birds off to races chances are someone will pick up something at some point. IMO best to only use antibiotics only when you need to, overuse can cause resitance which make treatment not as effective. you may want to give vitamins/minerals on a regualr basis to keep up their health.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like you approach to the job Braden,
Canker
Carnidazole (Spartrix), Metronidazole (Medtrich, Flagyl)
Coccidiosis
Clazuril (Appertex, Coximed)
Bacterial infection
Chloramphenicol, Doxycicline
Worms
Prazeqintel, Ivermectin- pour on

·
Registered
508 Posts
good thinking man! your birds will have a long and happy life with you!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Starting to stock up on pigeon supplies. Only have one healthy bird now, 3 more on there way next week, plan to breed racing homers. But, before I end up in a "situation" I am making a Pigeon First Aid Kit because we live in the middle of nowhere.

Sice I read that canker is the more popular illness, what is the BEST med to buy for Canker? If pill form, how do you administer pills to a bird? And cheapest place to purchase it?

Anything else htat is an absolute neccessity to have on hand that a local store would not carry?

Thank you!
It's best to have two different meds, as they need to be rotated, Metrodonizole and Spartrix are two I have on hand.

This is one disease that needs immediate treatment as it will kill them as canker can grow quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts