Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which direction is the best for a loft to face. I know the south will give it more daylight but sometimes we get winds from the south! We always get winds from the west and north so thats out. Does it matter which direction if faces? As far as best for racers to fly does it matter? Thanks

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The best is to get sun on the aviaries, so facing them south or south east is better, they really like to sit in the sun and it is nice in the winter to have sun come up on them there. the back without windows should face north from cold nothern winds. as far as racing goes they would come into the loft at any direction.. facing the loft is for it to get the most of the sunlight...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I try to face our to the east because we don't get as much wind from that direction & in the winter the birds get the rising sun first... when it's not snow!;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Face your loft if possible where it gets the most sun.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mine Faces Southwest. To help with sunlight three panels on my roof are clear plastic which really brightens the loft. I know sunlight is important because in the mornings most all my birds sit where the sun shines into the loft. Even on cold mornings.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
318 Posts
My current loft faces east because the wind/weather off lake ontario is brutal in the winter. I do have windows on three sides.....My next one will be facing south (the direction the birds race)

·
Registered
163 Posts
It would really depend where your loft is, out in the open , shaded. etc. I once placed my race loft facing the direction the birds came from, which is mostly WNW. What I found out was that about 99% of the time the birds would cicrle once completly around the loft before they landed. I then tunred the race loft 180 degrees to the ESE, now when they come home, they just cicrle to the opening of the loft and land.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts