Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
Just when I thought I wasnt going to raise another, Pijii happened. I couldnt stand the thought of raising another pigeon and possibly not give them a better life. Pijii has been somethin else. Full of personality and spunk! I had every intention of not getting attached and having minimal interaction with him. He's healthy it seems and is in the middle of what is described on here as "puberty" (HONK!!!) or he's got a URI from hell. I'd guess the first though.
He comes and goes several times throughout the day and I'm not quite sure where he goes at night. I don't cage him but plan to build him a little box/coop to mount to the side of the house. He's proven to be extremely people friendly but about giving my new neighbors a heart attack landing on their heads while Honking. Both neighbors are aware of him and really seem to like him, but I'm worried about the not so pigeon friendly people.
I love this little guy more than I ever thought and want the absolute best for him. I know its always a risk letting him fly around by himself, but is there anything I can do to minimize risks but let him keep his freedom?
There are gatherings of quite a few sparrows and doves that come and eat with him so he is socializing a little but I havent seen any pigeons yet.
am I completely screwing everything up by loving on him and giving him attention? is it possible he will abandon me shortly after maturing (pretty soon I think)to find a mate/live with his own kind?
I worry too much... I was told it's way worse with kids... I'll stick with animals....that stressful and hard enough...(though some of the most rewarding at times)

ANY advice is appreciated for making sure I give him the best!
I and Pijii (and the dog) send lots of THANKS!!

***EDIT: I have been thinking about the possibility of banding him for ID purposes and so people don't think its some wild pigeon and shoot him. Opinions??

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
There is no way to minimize risk when he is out.. you just can't have control over predators..esp hawks..so because he is bonded to humans he should be a pet and kept in a safe place..like a hutch with an aviary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts