Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really wanting to get my YBs out. I was thinking about in the evening just before normal feeding time? But my friend says don't let them out in the evening. I know hawks can be a problem-All I can do is watch the little birds and Dove and when they are around hope I am good to go. When do you all like to let them out for the first time?
Thanks jack

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think a nice calm clear evening is best..JMO now. my thinking is they will not want to stray too far and you can call them in for their pm feed, to get them back in when you want....or it's supposed to work that way anyway.. just make sure they are trapped trained well with the feed call before letting them out.. the first three or four times in the evening worked well for me, then you can do any time an hour or so before feeding time.. also my thinking is the hawk could of already ate earlier in the day and won't be lurking about...but of course that is just hoping. they are pretty funny the first few times out as they just do not know what they are doing yet, but soon you will see them fly as a group and that is sooo much fun to watch...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think late in the day - and very hungry for the first few times out. I would also keep my fingers crossed that they didn't do any flying.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I think late in the day - and very hungry for the first few times out. I would also keep my fingers crossed that they didn't do any flying.
This is why I don't perfer the evenings. You will occasionally get a couple that are just high spirited enough to take flight. Then they'll hangout on other roof tops and before you know it, it's dark and you can figure out the rest.....;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
the best time is not the question here TIMING is... and good handling skills just make sure you know how to control them,,,,,by FOOD....a plus if you have a dropper that dont fly just sits their on the roof when everybody flexing their wing......and if they take off they have a bearing or marker where they coming from or where to land on....mine i always test them who has that hawk smart mintallity by making some hawk noises or weeird noises that would make their heads up high and run for cover... try it you be amazed how smart your birds are.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Do your birds trap to a sound to feed? If you have them trained then afternoon, evening before feeding is good just because most hawks have fed by then.

Tony

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hungry

I have them pretty hungry and they know how to trap very well. I opened up the doors this afternoon. They sat on the edge of the aviary for quite awhile. 2 flew to the ground walked around for awhile and then flew back. That was it! 2 never left. Have to work tomorrow night so will try again on Fri. They will get the hang of it!
Jack

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have them pretty hungry and they know how to trap very well. I opened up the doors this afternoon. They sat on the edge of the aviary for quite awhile. 2 flew to the ground walked around for awhile and then flew back. That was it! 2 never left. Have to work tomorrow night so will try again on Fri. They will get the hang of it!
Jack
You got the idea, after a time call them back in to feed. Let them eat for twenty minutes then remove the food. Those that are slow will not be the next time.

Tony

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am really wanting to get my YBs out. I was thinking about in the evening just before normal feeding time? But my friend says don't let them out in the evening. I know hawks can be a problem-All I can do is watch the little birds and Dove and when they are around hope I am good to go. When do you all like to let them out for the first time?
Thanks jack
I always let my birds out in the morning before feeding time. I lost 5 birds to hawks when I let them out evening.

zero

·
Registered
503 Posts
With my work schedule I let my young birds out as soon as I get home which is around 4:30 PM, I let them sit around the loft and if they fly they fly but I make sure to call them in before 6 PM when its time for them to eat. I do this several times and when I think they all know how to get back in the loft without landing anywhere I flag them. Do understand you will lose birds no matter what you do, its better they get to know and learn what a predator looks like. This year I breed too early but because the hawks are still active I didn't get to let the young birds out until first week of March. So next year I will not breed too early to compensate when the hawks are gone.

·
Registered
578 Posts
With my work schedule I let my young birds out as soon as I get home which is around 4:30 PM, I let them sit around the loft and if they fly they fly but I make sure to call them in before 6 PM when its time for them to eat. I do this several times and when I think they all know how to get back in the loft without landing anywhere I flag them. Do understand you will lose birds no matter what you do, its better they get to know and learn what a predator looks like. This year I breed too early but because the hawks are still active I didn't get to let the young birds out until first week of March. So next year I will not breed too early to compensate when the hawks are gone.

really?
i got into racers in the summer and the never saw a hawk or falcon,
i just saw one last week and it wasnt even close, it was a cooper 300 feet away and they took off like their ass was burning.lol.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
the best time is not the question here TIMING is... and good handling skills just make sure you know how to control them,,,,,by FOOD....a plus if you have a dropper that dont fly just sits their on the roof when everybody flexing their wing......and if they take off they have a bearing or marker where they coming from or where to land on....mine i always test them who has that hawk smart mintallity by making some hawk noises or weeird noises that would make their heads up high and run for cover... try it you be amazed how smart your birds are.

???

Do hawks make a noise before they attack? I don't think so. That would be contributing to a higher possibility of failure at obtaining prey, thus dying of starvation.

They attack as silently, quickly and steathly as they can. IMO.

·
Registered
503 Posts
really?
i got into racers in the summer and the never saw a hawk or falcon,
i just saw one last week and it wasnt even close, it was a cooper 300 feet away and they took off like their ass was burning.lol.
Hawks migrate beginning March until August, there are some that hang around but I never lose birds from March to August. September to February is when they are hard in hunting and will be persistent in getting your birds.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My local hawks are still around. I hope they leave soon!
It all depend what type of Hawks you got, Red tail they are oppurtunist, the only time I lost bird to a red tail is because the bird was young and landed on a tree. Cooper hawk is the one that will empty your loft once given a chance they are so persistent that they will try to figure out how to get in your loft or wait until almost dark when the birds don't have a choice but land to their loft, this is how the cooper hawk get some of my birds. I do know some Cooper hawk that hang around, I know a guy in San Diego that always lose birds no matter what time of the year it is. My assumption was the hawk might be nesting around his area and his Rollers are the easiest prey to get. He lives a few block away from me but I never get an attack from March to August so maybe the hawk figured out that his birds are easier to catch.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Soy - I've got 2 coopers(probably a pair) and 1 red tail who really doesn't go after my birds. I also have a roller guy down the street from me and I saw his birds out this morning on my way to work. That's a good sign because I know his birds get hit alot and he doesn't let his birds out unless he's sure the hawks have moved on.

G

·
I still have a cooper that likes to roost on my fly pen daily , seem it this morning when I went out to feed the birds , just wish it would move on already ..never worried much about the redtails here thou they are always around ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts