Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Whatever you use, it's very important to buy to different meds and rotate them.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Canker medication DIMERTRDAZOLE (EMTRYL) a good med but you must be careful not to over dose........... CARNIDAZOLE ( spartrix) cpmes in tablet form very good for individual dosing ............METRONIDAZOLE (Flagyl) also a good drug to use..............ronidazole(Ridsol-s. Turbosole, Tricho-plus, Ronivet) ..........Dr.Colin Walker in his book "The Flying Vet's PIGEON HEALTH MANAGEMENT" has this to say "In any CANKER-control program it is best to rotate between at least two of these medications in order to decrease the chance of a resistant trichomonad strain developin." GEORGE;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I suggest you review the writings of Dr. Walker where he discusses the topic of canker. Causes, prevention and treatment. He also provides a break down of the various drugs used throughout the world.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/
Slightly off topic, but just wanted to add that I rang the Australian Pigeon Company last week to mail order some medications for canker, worms and coccidiosis and was just amazed at the wonderful, personal service they give: I thought they would just take my order and post it, but I found myself talking to the vet who gave me a personalized consultation about my pigeons' health and insisted I should ring if I had the slightest problem or query. It was excellent to find that I had avian vet advice (at no extra charge) only a phone call away! Guess it is just another advantage of being an Aussie!;)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Slightly off topic, but just wanted to add that I rang the Australian Pigeon Company last week to mail order some medications for canker, worms and coccidiosis and was just amazed at the wonderful, personal service they give: I thought they would just take my order and post it, but I found myself talking to the vet who gave me a personalized consultation about my pigeons' health and insisted I should ring if I had the slightest problem or query. It was excellent to find that I had avian vet advice (at no extra charge) only a phone call away! Guess it is just another advantage of being an Aussie!;)
You are very fortunate indeed !! I would suggest that readers should not expect to recieve that same level of treatment if they should call. I can't even get my own medical doctor to come to the phone for a question.
But, thanks for sharing your extraordinary experience. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
i use Ronidazole from foys pigeon supply i think this is best medication
The product of choice in Europe for the treatment of Canker. Not harmful to young birds. 1 teaspoon per gallon for 5 days. Safe to use during the breeding season

·
Registered
813 Posts
Canker medication DIMERTRDAZOLE (EMTRYL) a good med but you must be careful not to over dose........... CARNIDAZOLE ( spartrix) cpmes in tablet form very good for individual dosing ............METRONIDAZOLE (Flagyl) also a good drug to use..............ronidazole(Ridsol-s. Turbosole, Tricho-plus, Ronivet) ..........Dr.Colin Walker in his book "The Flying Vet's PIGEON HEALTH MANAGEMENT" has this to say "In any CANKER-control program it is best to rotate between at least two of these medications in order to decrease the chance of a resistant trichomonad strain developin." GEORGE;)
best to rotate between at least two of these medications in order to decrease the chance of a resistant trichomonad strain developin

METRONIDAZOLE (Flagyl) also a good drug to use.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I like Metro and it normally works well. Sometimes however if the canker is stubborn, it can require 2 different meds in the same treatment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ended up buying "CANKER COMBO (Medpet)". I'm hopeful but found another dead pigeon yesterday. They seem to be dropping!

For the lead poisoning, I'm trying to get Succimer but I need a vet's prescription. This sucks because I know lead is what's really taking them down.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Columba, go to www.wagwalking.com/bird/condition/lead-poisoning or www.soarraptors.org/rehabiliating-birds-with-lead/exposure/ click on rehab and release How did your birds get lead poisoning???? Beachwood
I believe it has to do with the construction that's been going on across the street. And the fenced in enclosure is super filthy! It needs a power wash for sure. I think I'm going to alert the MTA to block access to this space so the pigeons can look elsewhere to roost. It's just killing them all so fast!

Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I believe it has to do with the construction that's been going on across the street. And the fenced in enclosure is super filthy! It needs a power wash for sure. I think I'm going to alert the MTA to block access to this space so the pigeons can look elsewhere to roost. It's just killing them all so fast!

Thanks for the links!
Look this is an old thread, and not about this topic. Can you continue posting in your other thread?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.