Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She started off as a subdued, sorry-looking pigeon who walked in off the balcony to be scooped up and given refuge. Just over three weeks later, as a definite PMV case, she is anything but subdued. I say 'she', but "Feather" may turn out to be 'he'.

Although she seems quite relaxed in the large Chinchilla cage on my lounge table, she gets a few hours to wander round the room in the late morning and early evening. At first, picking her up to move her, or holding her for inspection, was easy. Not so now! I have war wounds from a sharp beak to show for it. When I put her down again, she crows triumphantly. Funny how the pigeons always think they won. I don't mind telling you, except when examining her closely, I put on a pair of gloves when I handle that one now :)

When I'm working from home using the laptop on the coffee table, Feather chooses to stand very close and cock her head to look up at me. Perching on one foot on the modem is another of her ways of relaxing, maybe because it is just nicely warm for her feet. Every so often, I feel something pecking at my foot or shoe, and there she is, like she wants attention. I move around the lounge very slowly and make sure I can see her at all times, as she will also run after me to attack the foot. An ankle-biting pigeon indeed! If I kneel down to talk to her she'll attack my knees. It did not take long for her to lose any fear of the 'giant', that's for sure. She is either very trusting or very foolhardy.

This is a YouTube video of Feather tearing into a furry toy. Now, she seems to realize that furry toys don't respond as well as humans :)

I have to watch her when she is getting exercise, as she is into everything. Her helicoptering is pretty fair, and she can easily get up onto a chair back in stages, though I pick her off before she tries to fly and falls off. Sometimes she has the nerve to start getting comfortable on my chair! Her focus is not that good still, but she has a wide and deep dish with pigeon mix, so she does get her fill even if she does toss a lot around in her efforts. May be a while before she regains real flight, but if she does so before her quarantine is ended that could be a challenge - the lounge has too much in it which could get damaged or just possibly damage an unwary pigeon in flight. My normal 'pigeon room' is currently occupied by a now healthy pigeon from our aviary who seems to think I'm her mate, and has decided to build a nest on top of the wardrobe ... but that's another story :)

John

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
OMG, he killed the toy:eek: This is an attack pigeon, so mean:eek: Love the video.

Sounds like a sweet character, he sure has YOU trained.

Reti

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have noticed that when they get excited either happy or angry they tend to go into these fits too. Keeping them calm is best even though she really killed that toy :). She was happy knowing she won that match... but everything aside, try to keep her calm till the PMV has pubside. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
John that's so funny, well from this distance anyway ! ;)

It reminds me so much of Tipsey when I first had him.
I didn't know his sex until he went to live with Christina. In his early days with me though he had a small penguin toy that he slept with. After a while he started to do just that with it, and would also bite me mercilessly when handled, so much so I too had to wear gloves for protection.

Amazingly enough though he did eventually bond with me just before he was rehomed and once with Christina, right up until he passed last year, he changed completely to quite an amazingly tame bird.

Soooo.. you never know, you may have another 'mate' in the offing. :D

Janet

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo.. you never know, you may have another 'mate' in the offing. :D

Janet
Eeek! It's bad enough with Poppet the dove in the aviary and Chickpea the pigeon right here :)

John

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I Love that video!!!

:p :D :p

Well...John...it looks like you have created a monster. No doubt the personality has a chance to come out now due to the fact that she/he is feeling much better...a testimony to your wonderful supportive care.

:eek:...I can only imagine how the bird will act once he/she is in optimum health....watch out!

Please keep us updated.....

Thank you for sharing, what a lovely character.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It's nice watching them play! I had no idea that they liked to play. I thought for a moment that it would flip itself over (and was secretly hoping for it to do so - like a cat does :D) but no such luck. Came close to doing so though. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
iiiiiiiiiiii loveeeeee that crazy pigeon:)
i never seen them do anything like that .. wow just wow.. i guess the toy lost the game..
i love that pigeon

·
Registered
864 Posts
i wanna see more videos. keep them coming please

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
"Feather" is a riot!! Loved the video, John!

Squeaks can get that way with my bare feet...at times...reminds me to wear shoes!

I agree with Pidgey...Feather has been talking to the Dinkster or Squeaks or :eek: BOTH!!

Can't wait to see what happens...

Uh, John, you sound like a pigeon "magnet!" They luuuuuves you! :p :eek:

Sending ALL OUR BEST WITH LOVE, HUGS and SCRITCHES (when you can give 'em!)

Shi and Mr. Squeaks :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh My what a pigeon...too funnie... really enjoyed the video... that pigeon certainly has a lot of energy... the toy did not have any catnip in it by any chance?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feather says ...

"Can't talk right now, I'm on the other 'phone"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
:D :) :D

What a sweet looking bird.

John....is she showing another side of her personality?

That is quite different from the video...lol.

She looks quite happy and content.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Feather looks more like my PMV pigeon Chula which I think is Chulo, he loves to chase and fight now that he is in a good condition, they are so adorable!!!!

Are you going to keep him? looks like is part of the family now. and think about this you have a cute receptionist there. ;)
Ivette

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, Feather is a keeper, Ivette. She (or he) will eventually join our other recovered PMV pigeons in the aviary. She still has a few weeks of 'house arrest' to go, though, so it will be almost spring then (which means wet and cool here :) ).

In fact, Treesa, I do believe she is becoming just a little less aggressive - but mustn't speak too soon. Last night she was lying down looking relaxed but sleepy, but it was well past pigeon bedtime after all. When I slid a hand under her and picked her up, she pecked a little without biting, and just relaxed in my hand while I preened her neck.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts