·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think it was sick.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why so? and what could it have been? all other birds are fine. and this bird was normal yesterday. it couldnt walk, stand or fly. but yesterday it could... thatd be a mean illness wouldnt it? rest of my loft should be dead tommorow... no? could it be west nile? im thinking maybe broken back. i could just go pick it up. eyes were clear, nose beak was ok no discharge. educate me im learning... -chris

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
edit: also last night a mean storm ripped thru. maybe the wind blew him in to something. i put 2 new hickory perches that go the entire with of the loft. (natural stick) maybe he wasnt used to it there and maybe he flew into it... i have no clue and know nothing bout pigeon illness.

just trying to learn so i dont loose more birds. down to 9 birds now, kid was mad that a bird died. hopefully ill figure out which are the hens and roosters and maybe they will have young this year. -chris

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Chris, it could have been illness or injury. If the deceased bird was of a good weight and in good feather, then I would suspect injury BUT illness is still a possibility. There are a few diseases that can take out a whole loft within a couple of days, but I highly doubt you are at risk for any of those things. West Nile virus is not a common ailment of pigeons though it can and does decimate birds in the corvid family. I suspect the rest of your birds are fine and will be fine, but it would be prudent for you to be keeping a very close eye on them.

Terry

·
Registered
777 Posts
How old was the bird? I had a very senior bird go like that and the rest of the flock remained fine so we suspected a stroke or heart attack....which can actually occur in younger birds with genetic abnormalities you would never know existed. Also remember that the birds will hide an illness until the bitter end so if he died of an illness, it probably is something that did not come on in just the hours when there were visible symptoms, but was something building in him for days or weeks.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bird was probably 4 months old or so. Never flown or left the loft yet. These birds all came from the same guy. Bird had normal weight, eyes good, thoat was normal same as the rest of the flock. Bird was normal the day before it died. Thinking it may have broke its back or neck.it couldn't stand, walk or fly.it could how ever smack me with its wing when I went to pick it up.
wierd -chris

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
4 Months is still relatively young. Sounds a lot like paratyphoid, even though usually they only die that quick when they're very young. Do you have any idea if it had diarrhea? Adeno virus also kills birds very quickly.

You said it stormed...has it been raining a lot lately or been humid? Can the rain blow into the loft?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
feed is stored in the garage in a metal can with lid. no diarrhea, birds are dry they have protection from the west which heres is where it storms from. they have 2 foot sides and a 4 foot over hang roof. so nothing can blow in where the perch or nest. but the east side is open. its like a big open loft with protection on the sides, roof, and back.

all birds today are doing fine, they are moving in the loft flying eating drinking. all acting normal just how this one did they day before.

wonder if his head got caught in the wire or his beak and maybe he broke a neck???

heres a pic of the loft so you no what im talking about.

this shows the protection on the south side. 24" from back wall

this shows north side 24" also, but more on the top where the trap door and release door is.

this shows the protection on the back wall where the perches are.

-chris

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

heres the whole loft 5' on the short side 7' tall on the back like 11' long and 5' wide 2x3 fence over top poultry 1" wire on top. theres chain link on all sides to keep out the big animals and its wraped in the 1" chicken wire for the little critters same as the 4' gate door.

just thought id share how it is. garage offers alot of protection from wind and storm. blows over the loft.

-chris

edit:
plenty of room for them to fly even.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts