Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

My car hit a bird on the way to the train station, and I am afraid I had to carry on as I was going for an interview and I would have been late otherwise. I do not feel good about this. I want to call someone to rescue the bird that is still probably lying injured on the road. It is not a heavy traffic road, so I am hoping someone sees the injured bird and rescues it.

Can someone tell me who to contact for a bird rescue in the Pleasanton, California area? It should be lying on Willow road in front of Hart Middle School and on the right side of the road if you were driving to the BART Station. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Regards,
Susan

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If your in a car, why didn't you pick up the bird and bring it with you. It doesn't take up that much room in a car. You could have found a box and put it in there and then deal with the bird after your intervies. Did you at least move it off the road? You can pick it up it won't give you any disease. It won't bite. Not only that, you left the bird in the street where there is a school and kids will be getting out of the school and then what will happen to the bird. I think you handled this situation so badly. mindy

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mindy... How do you know the bird didnt have no disease's , If he couldnt pick the bird up he couldnt.. How the heck would you know if he had a box in his car or not... I think he did a right thing by atleast telling us, So mindy please stop thinking you know everything.. And read the posts better?

"He would have been late if he picked it up"..... Thanks..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to say I feel really bad for this person "ssss", they will probably never return here.
They felt bad enough to come on here and ask for help ---and got kicked while they were down :mad: (as I bite my tongue!)
I agree......:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If your in a car, why didn't you pick up the bird and bring it with you. It doesn't take up that much room in a car. You could have found a box and put it in there and then deal with the bird after your intervies. Did you at least move it off the road? You can pick it up it won't give you any disease. It won't bite. Not only that, you left the bird in the street where there is a school and kids will be getting out of the school and then what will happen to the bird. I think you handled this situation so badly. mindy
I would have picked up the bird (BUT I don't know your situation). must agree with pigeon lower. (this was kinda harsh).I hope you find help God bless:) . romo out.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to say I feel really bad for this person "ssss", they will probably never return here.
They felt bad enough to come on here and ask for help ---and got kicked while they were down :mad: (as I bite my tongue!)
I agree as well.
As Pigeon Lower pointed out, at least Susan alerted a pigeon group that she hoped would help.

Cindy

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
most people who have never dealt with wildlife don't know how to handle the situation, i get these calls all the time, all we can do is educate after the fact.
they also don't know that most people that do rescue and rehab can't run out and grab every animal they get a call about, we can't afford it and half the time we have a houseful of patients that we would be neglecting if we did, and most of us are unpaid volunteers.
it feels like i have trained in all of gloucester on how to catch a seagull without getting a nice bite, lol

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have to say I sorta disagree w/ you folks jumping on Mindy. I mean...honestly...what are the chances that by the time someone posted here that bird was still alive or even there any longer ?

And for a member here to actually say "how do you know the bird didn't have a disease ?" is just plain foolish. C'mon folks, we try to refute these sorta myths on a daily basis ! The whole "don't touch a pigeon it carries disease" thing isn't something anyone here needs to be trumpeting.

With that said......a Humane Society, SPCAm or Animal Control bureau in your area would have directed you, ssss....and only have been a click of the mouse away....so, I hope you came to that conclusion yourself...sooner rather than later.

While I do appreciate your concern and posting here....keep in mind if this ever happens again, really...one has to make a determination whether saving an animal's life is worth a tad of inconvenience.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Harsh much? :eek:

Not everyone has the luxury of dropping everything to rescue a bird.

After reading for several months the emotionally charged posts in the forum, I frequently hesitate even to ask any questions, and I'm difficult to intimidate... :rolleyes:

Luckily I usually have pretty good search-fu. :p

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I have to say I sorta disagree w/ you folks jumping on Mindy. I mean...honestly...what are the chances that by the time someone posted here that bird was still alive or even there any longer ?

And for a member here to actually say "how do you know the bird didn't have a disease ?" is just plain foolish. C'mon folks, we try to refute these sorta myths on a daily basis ! The whole "don't touch a pigeon it carries disease" thing isn't something anyone here needs to be trumpeting.

With that said......a Humane Society, SPCAm or Animal Control bureau in your area would have directed you, ssss....and only have been a click of the mouse away....so, I hope you came to that conclusion yourself...sooner rather than later.

While I do appreciate your concern and posting here....keep in mind if this ever happens again, really...one has to make a determination whether saving an animal's life is worth a tad of inconvenience.
I have to agree with Jaye.

This is a situation where you have to act fast. By the time this person posted it was most likely too late to save this bird anyways.

Reti

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i don't think mindy was to harsh, it was a honest response, i want to yell at people all the time, i learned to not do it, but i can't say i don't get furious with people all the time..
like i said thats when i try to educate them, if i yell at them the converstaion is over and that's no good for the animal that they took the time to call about or anything that crosses their path in the future.
hope fully if this woman ever has anything like this happen again she will stop next time, hopefully she checked on the bird on her way home and usually once a person is involved in a rescue they start to notice all the creatures out there that need help, it changes people

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

He never claimed what animal it was, and i only said it could have had a disease because not everything is healthy, West nile is out there still and other stuff. It doesnt just pass by,

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The point is - the person felt bad with the choice they made, came here looking for a number to call in the hopes that the bird could still be helped - and didn't get any help. They just got ridiculed.
Kinda ironic - Isn't this situation similar to the little 4H girl that came here for help (too late in some people's eye's) and got a hard time from members (I missed that thread, so I don't know what was said to her)
But that incident led to a new thread about being more sympathetic :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The point is - the person felt bad with the choice they made, came here looking for a number to call in the hopes that the bird could still be helped - and didn't get any help. They just got ridiculed.
Kinda ironic - Isn't this situation similar to the little 4H girl that came here for help (too late in some people's eye's) and got a hard time from members (I missed that thread, so I don't know what was said to her)
But that incident led to a new thread about being more sympathetic :confused:
I agree yelling at people doesnt help anyone or anything ..do you like to be yelled at ?? I think not .. all you are instilling in people when you do is to not bother looking for help at all.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
looking back on this post it looks like none of us stayed on topic to try to help her including me, kicking myself in the butt! instead it turned into something else.
i will remember to not do that.
if you come back susan can you tell us what happened, heres a list of rehabbers in your area
http://www.ccwr.org/resources/carehab.htm

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
looking back on this post it looks like none of us stayed on topic to try to help her including me, kicking myself in the butt! instead it turned into something else.
i will remember to not do that.
if you come back susan can you tell us what happened, heres a list of rehabbers in your area
http://www.ccwr.org/resources/carehab.htm
I think this thread turned into another learning experience -----
by the time I responded is was 3 hours after the original request for help and "ssss" was gone. After reading their 1st response, I didn't think they'd be back - at least I wouldn't come back if I got a response like that on a new forum. :eek:
Hopefully "ssss" continued to look for help, and got some.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think this thread turned into another learning experience -----
by the time I responded is was 3 hours after the original request for help and "ssss" was gone. After reading their 1st response, I didn't think they'd be back - at least I wouldn't come back if I got a response like that on a new forum. :eek:
Hopefully "ssss" continued to look for help, and got some.
I agree, she was asking if someone close could help the bird, not a lecture on her conduct.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts