Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dear Pigeon Fanciers,

I thought you may find this news story on Ed Schmidt of interest. Ed Schmidt was a WWII veteran from the "Fighting 279th Pigeoneers". Ed will be featured in my upcoming documentary film to be released in 2010.

Below is an excerpt from "Bird In Hand", written by Charity Bonner, The Courier News, Elgin, Illinois.

"Schmidt, 91, has spent all his adult life in Elgin except for the five years he was in the Philippines training homing pigeons to carry classified messages about enemy movements to different U.S. camps during World War II. The tactic was especially useful in the Pacific Islands, where the mountains kept radio signals from carrying very far. He still has several of the tiny 1-inch-long aluminum carriers the trainers would use to attach to the pigeons' legs." Click Here To Read Entire Article

Kind regards,

Al Croseri
www.pigeonsincombat.com
Ed Schimidt, what a gentleman.I had fortune to meet him at the Elgin club for the Topeka race. Two month's later I get a call from him that he has one of my bird's. He gave me the band number .I told him I'd like to get the bird back.We made arrangment's.
The next weekend I went down to his place.I was somewhat embarassed that I had lost a bird so close to home. Ed,being himself reasured me.'thing's happen.' We sat in his loft for near on an hour, talking about the bird's.
He knew I was young to the sport,but he did'nt let his knowlegde of the sport overwhelm me.
I learn't more from my hour with Mr Schimidt, than a hundred seminar's.
God Bless you Ed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dear Pigeon Fanciers,

I thought you may find this news story on Ed Schmidt of interest. Ed Schmidt was a WWII veteran from the "Fighting 279th Pigeoneers". Ed will be featured in my upcoming documentary film to be released in 2010.

Below is an excerpt from "Bird In Hand", written by Charity Bonner, The Courier News, Elgin, Illinois.

"Schmidt, 91, has spent all his adult life in Elgin except for the five years he was in the Philippines training homing pigeons to carry classified messages about enemy movements to different U.S. camps during World War II. The tactic was especially useful in the Pacific Islands, where the mountains kept radio signals from carrying very far. He still has several of the tiny 1-inch-long aluminum carriers the trainers would use to attach to the pigeons' legs." Click Here To Read Entire Article

Kind regards,

Al Croseri
www.pigeonsincombat.com
Pigioneer's. How often do you hear that said?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Birds In Hand"--Ed Schmidt, WWII 279th Fighting Pigeoneers

Dear Pigeon Talk,

I have just corrected the links so that they take you directly to Ed Schmidt's story, "Bird In Hand".

Thanks for your comments. Ed is a true gentleman in every sense of the word. He's a very dear friend, and I'm privileged to be able to tell his story in my upcoming film. Col. Clifford A. Poutre, Chief Pigeoneer, US Army Signal Corp Pigeon Service, told me off camera that Ed Schmidt was one of his best men/pigeoneers at Fort Monmouth, NJ. in 1942. And believe me, Col. Poutre knew his pigeoneers and pigeons very well. They were all handpicked for the Pigeon Service.

Kind regards,
Al Croseri
www.pigeonsincombat.com

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a friend, Marvin Kaiser, who was with the army pigeon corp in March of 1957, when they shut it down.
He has several of the round carrying baskets they used. They really packed the pigeons in.
He also got to keep some of the homing pigeons they retired.
Marvin still keeps several hundred pigeons. Lots of my rollers came from Marvin.
Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.