Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herman Update...
Hi,
I've attached Herm's picture in my profile. The good news is that Herman is flying a bit, and he's done with his antibiotics. I think Herman would be best off if I could free him, but I'm very, very nervous about how to do this. Is there anyone in the Bay Area who knows how to ready young pigeons to fly the coop?

If I thought keeping him would make for a happy pigeon, I would. But he clearly would rather be free. But HOW? Should I just open the sliding door and see if he flies off?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He needs a soft release with a flock. How old is he? How long have you had him?
Are there any rehabbers in your area?
Sorry for the questions, but I don't know his history.

Reti

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Herm, cont...

I don't know any rehabbers here, but was hoping the posting could help me locate someone. The closest flock is a few blocks away, and I have no clue how to do it. Regarding his age; he is young. The vet didn't know his exact age, and just said "young". -P

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
If no rehabber oulc be located and you have the time you can take him in carrier t the local flock and the first couple od days let him just watch the flock from the carrier. On day 3 you can open the carrier and let him do the move himself, do not force him out. Wait and see if he comes back to the carrier or you, if he returns to the carrier take him back home and repeat. If he joins the flock wait and see how he does and go back in the evening to make sure he is alright.
This is not the ideal release but it might work if you don't find a rehabber to do the rlease.

Reti

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any Willing Helpers?

:eek:
I can't tell if Herman is too skinny, too young, too... whatever, to fly off and be healthy. Is there anyone willing, in the Bay Area, to help out? If anyone has experience with release, that would help. I think I'm out of my league here. -Pilla

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Pilla,
I read your story about finding Herman and carrying for him. You did excellent job.:) When you say he is flying a bit, does that mean that he is OK now and he’s back to his full strength? I’m asking this because you know, people after illness recover slowly, and they can walk, but cannot run.
If he can fly a bit, letting him go will be death sentence for him. Unless fully recovered and able to run from danger and predators, it may be to early for release.
I know your problem with space for him, but please don’t rush if you are not sure. Otherwise all your efforts and his life are wasted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly my worry!

I definitely DO NOT want to release Herman if he is not ready. I do not know what "full strength" is for a pigeon. He's been with me now for about 3 or 4 weeks. He started very slowly, and sick, and I thought he would never fly. After the vet visit, he improved. He eats well, pecks food off the ground, flies from his indoor hutch to the fan, and around the room (judging by the poop on the walls -- ick!), and I bring him back into his hutch at night.

I don't mind keeping him longer, but worry about damaging him, and domesticating him. He is full-force in his dislike of people, and I want to keep that spark lit.

He's also gone from baby chirping to a strange, baritone chirp. Do pigeons' voices change? Odd. He also makes a cooing kind of sound, all new.

I've spent a lot of time, money, resources on this little guy. I dare say I love him. I was just hoping someone who is more of a pigeon expert could come by and give him a look!

-Pilla

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Pilla...I am in SF...I can help you out. Am sending a PM w/ my contact info....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts