Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if there was someone could so a quick measurement on their homing pigeon(s) for me. I need an accurate measurement so if a ruler is used I think the mm side would be the best. A caliper would be ideal, but I'll take any measurements.

The measurement I need is:
The distance across the top of the head just behind the eyes.

I would greatly appreciate any time put in for some of these measurements. Thank you :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I was wondering if there was someone could so a quick measurement on their homing pigeon(s) for me. I need an accurate measurement so if a ruler is used I think the mm side would be the best. A caliper would be ideal, but I'll take any measurements.

I would greatly appreciate any time put in for some of these measuremnets. Thank you :)
You wouldn't get an accurate measurement. They do come in different sizes you know. These aren't cars turned out by GM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know that there are variation in sizes between animals;)

I am doing a project for my high school to try to help a wildlife rehabilitator prepare for incoming birds this summer. If I can at least get one measurement I can have a general idea of size, and then plan for different sizes based on that measurement-But I need a baseline measurement to go by because right now I have no idea around what size it could be. Thank-you for your comments.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
What is this measurement for. Are they going to make them little bonnets?
Just kidding.:p:D

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Do you want a straight measurement or rounded like with a string which you then measure? Don't have calipers, sorry!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
May I ask why a rehabilitator would want or need these measurements?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Do you want a straight measurement or rounded like with a string which you then measure? Don't have calipers, sorry!
Straight measurement would be awesome!!
Thank-you so much :) Gives me a good place to start

Jay3, it's to stabilize the head I.e., trying to stabilize the head after accidents like run in's with windows or cars. They have braces for people but not for pigeons. The woman I work with takes in lots of different kinds of birds. Pigeons are just one and if there's a way to help or quicken their recovery then I will try.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I would greatly appreciate any time put in for some of these measurements. Thank you :)

7-month old (FULLY GROWN) HEN: 2 CM
15-month old (FULLY GROWN) HEN: 2-1/2 CM dIfference is the fulllness of feathers on her head...she is short and stocky, slow flyer, while the 7month old is taller and slender and a very fast flyer.

21 month (FULLY GOWN) MALE: 3 CM--Large strong male full thick feathered-slow flyer
35 month (FULLY GROWN) MALE: 2-1/2 CM-- large strong slender male-very fast flyer

hope this helps you!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks for sharing that info, LeeLu, hopefully that will help.

freebird, I hope you will share with us the results/braces...pictures..I'm just curious. Thank you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for sharing that info, LeeLu, hopefully that will help.

freebird, I hope you will share with us the results/braces...pictures..I'm just curious. Thank you.
hope so; if firebird needs more measurements; let me know...my doves live inside with me...the few i measured were easier to catch than the others...however, i can trap them in a dark room and measure them; if he needs more stats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts