Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have set up a ( bird tree) loaded down with bird feeders and suet feeders. And since we are in Pennsylvania (transilated from latin = Penn'sforest) we get tons of birds. Name it and we have.
leopard

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a bird book so I can figure it out. Because I am out in the woods so much I can figure out about 10 without the book. ( I like to take pictures of all types of wild animals) One time a copper head almost bitt me.
Leopard

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ew, snakes. I just about stepped on a King Snake once. And again with a black snake. And I've had more than enough copperheads and other bad snakes coiled up sunning at my trampoline. Which of course, I don't notice until I'm RIGHT there :eek:
I'm a 3rd generation bird-lover, so I picked up on who's who pretty quick. The majority of my time inside when I was little, was spent looking at my dad's bird books and drawing them.
A lot of people down here don't like to call birds by their real names either. They'd rather give them nicknames :rolleyes: So I've had to get used to that too. Buzzards are Vultures (even though buzzards are another kind of bird), Boat-tailed blackbirds are actually Boat-tailed Grackles, Rain Crows are Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Chicken Hawks are Cooper's Hawks, Sparrowhawks are kestrels (even though sparrowhawks are a real kind of bird), duck hawks are Peregrines, fish hawks are Osprey, and pigeon hawks are Merlins :rolleyes:
Most of the time I have to call them by their nicknames in order for people to know what the heck I'm talking about down here :p Except Rain Crows, which I guess is just what mountain people call them. Speaking of which, I'm stuck on calling them cuckoo, as in the way it's spelled, instead of coo-coo, the way it's SUPPOSED to be pronounced. It's my dad's fault!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts