Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my husband just found an ill pigeon on the street that did not fly away because it has an ill wing, and brought it home.
The moment the bird was brought in and put in the cage it started eating a lot. It was obviously staving. Now it has a crop full of seeds and we inspected the bird. I think is a young bird. I see no wound anywhere, the wing is defiantly moving a bit, but it is quite droopy. If I move the wing a bit he pulls it back in its place, it seems to me that all parts of the wing are functional and I don’t feel any broken bones but I do not know that much about this subject to say for certain
The bird is really thin and apathetic. When I handle the bird it does not panic or tries to fly away, it is rather calm. The poos are bright green. Otherwise no other strange behaviours.
I will be inspecting the bird in a short while again to make sure there are no marks on its body, feathers are so close apart is hard to tell.
What do i do now; Can someone give advice on what action to take?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Chris,

Well...it is in good hands! The fact that it has eaten is very encouraging.

Do you have any probiotics? That would be the first thing I would give a pigeon with bright green poops! I use Potent Brew for emergencies and can send you sometomorrow if you need it.

Cynthia

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi Chriss80,

Your patient's wing looks sore, poor thing. When you're able to examine him, please look for wounds or swollen joints, to see if it's injury or illness. Thank you for looking after him.
All the best.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just felt both of his wings at the same time to compare and I just noticed he has an slightly inflamed joint. I tried to fallow the bone line but I can’t feel any broken bone, is probably something in the joint connection. He surely can move the wing a bit and flap though which is good. Otherwise this bird eats, drinks water, grooms and is slightly more alert today.

Might take him to the vet in a couple of days maybe I can get a better opinion

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Oinment for sports trauma free of steroids can be used to slightly massage joint.
You may also try to bandage injured wing.

Wrap the tape on the outside of the injured wing and around the body under the healthy wing.
CAUTION:
- You must be sure that you are not obstructing breathing! Do not wrap too tightly.
- It helps if you can have someone else hold his feet back and then hold his good wing up.
- Secure the bandage/tape to itself.
- Watch the bird for several minutes. The bird might fall over and be awkward for the first day. His feet should be free to move around, but his injured wing needs to be immobile. He might use his other wing for balance – that’s fine. Be sure that his feet are behind the bandage (on the tail side) and that they do not get caught in the bandage.

Leave it on for couple of days.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Plamenh,

What is the exact point of bandaging the wing? Is it because the bird does not have to move it so the joints heal together? Does this method work for all sort of wing damage?
Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Chris,

I have sent you some Avipro Plus which should arrive tomorrow. Use 1 teaspoon full to 100ml for this one, as he is under stress.

I buy my supplies from the Birdcare Company (they sell Potent Brew and Poly Aid) and from Vetark.

Potent Brew is a strong probiotic, very good for sour crop but it has a limited life and has to be kept refrigerated once opened. I didn't think it would do well on the journey as it is so hot!

Cynthia

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Chriss80,
Yes, the idea is like with injuries in humans to stop movement and further irritation and inflammation of the joints. If there is a broken bones immobilization will enable healing and mending. You don't know if there is a fracture or not. It is not necessary bone to stick out to be fractured. Obviously bird is in pain, otherwise it will keep wing in normal position.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you so much for helping this poor little bird, it's so kind of you. The people here are wonderful and so knowledgeable, you certainly came to the right place! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, I just wanted to say that I received your parcel Cynthia and start administrating the AviPro.

Otherwise I am taking the birds for a vet consultation tomorrow as I alone can’t figure it out what is wrong with the wing. Though I won’t be letting the vet do anything drastic to the bird until I ask for more info here.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have just been to the vet said that wing has been broken in the past but has healed with a scar on the bone. I would be guessing that this bird has been living on the ground long before my husband found him.
Now I got some 2.5 % Baytril from the vet. I got instruction to feed the bird trough the water but I want to make sure he has the right dosage so I will give the med with a syringe myself as soon I can find out the right dosage that is. I know there was some ware on the forum how much to give a bird related to its weight but just can’t find the data at the moment.
The place had another bird they got there. Is a racer that seems exhausted. They contacted the owner and the owner said to put the pigeons to sleep if it does not get better by tomorrow. I gladly took the bird home with me, is a really skinny bird and can barely eat but is trying hard and manages. I have also put some AviPro that Cynthia gave me in the water.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I dose Baytril - 10%; 2 drops; twice a day. In your case 6 drops twice a day for 10 days should be fine with 2.5% solution.
I can't believe that this bird with damaged wing managed to survive without flying for long period.
For racer, I would use honey or glucose in the water, as he needs energy.
Unfortunately culling is common practice with racing birds if they do not show winners qualities.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi plamenh
Hi I will be giving him some honey water with a syringe soon, this bird has not been eating much of its food plus I have no idea if it actually had water, is always tricky to tell. The bird look rather week now is alone in a cosy room, better not stress the bird right now because is just come here.

I think I need a bit more accurate dosage for the Baytril, I have a 0.1ml syringe for it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi I just wanted to say that the racing bird I got from the vet has not made it sadly. She was hydrated with honey and water last night and had some watery poos over night, and I really thought that is going to make it. The bird was certainly a racer and got lost from a race, there are numbers stamped on its wing and I know they do that when they send them racing. We named her Spotty she is free now from this cruel racing world, Rest in peace little one!

On a plus side the bird with broken wing doing very well, is eating well and is happier.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry, Chris. It is sad that it was already too far gone for help and far from home. Thank you for giving it haven for its last hours.

About Baytril, the dosage for pigeons recommended by the manufacturers is 10-20 mg per kg, once daily. 1ml of the 2.5% solution has 25 mg of enrofloxacin (the active ingredient) in it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok the new bird is doing very well at the moment; he is on Baytril and is one cute bird
Sadly I must go to Yorkshire in a couple of days for like about 2 weeks and I got no one to look after any of my birds. Only option would be getting them on with me but 3 birds is just too much trouble then it worth. Anyway I am trying not to go to Yorkshire

·
Registered
30 Posts
My dove had a droopy wing at one point. I think she hit the side of the cage at one point. We brought her to the vet, who gave us antibiotic and anti-swelling medication. I don't remember the name though. We also have to slowly stretch the wing, to it's full stretch, gently of course. So it's some kind of physical therapy. My dove was only 2 months old at that time. The vet showed us how to do this. It was necessary so that the bird will be able to fly later on. She also had a swollen join on this wing as well. She's fine now, and those medication definitely help. Not sure how much this information would help you. G'luck and thank you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.