Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my birds arrive tomorrow, should I leave them alone due to the stress of the trip, or should I interact with them, like showing each of them where the water, feed, and grit is located? Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don, When I get my birds in I usually have a special pen they go in so they can be treated with meds prior to going in the main loft. I have seen pics of your loft and dont remember any individual pens. I am not sure how many you are getting either. If you are getting alot of YB's I would put them all in the main loft at the same time and start meds to make sure they did not bring anything into your beautiful new loft. I would not be worried about handling the pigeons as I would check each one of them for mites, cancer, etc. After the initial check over, it would not hurt to get a bucket and sit in the loft with them to let them get used to you. Good luck with them and dont forget to send us Pictures!!
Ken

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the reply. There are six birds arriving, but they will have the whole loft to themselves, as they are my reintroduction to birds after a 25 year absence. I finished the loft today, cleaned it, sprayed it with orange oil, and purchased sevin concentrate liquid when I need it for the birds. I also purchased hydrogen peroxide to use when I clean. Which meds do you use when you introduce new birds into the loft?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don, I start them with sulmet and after 5 days I will give them a worm pill. They also get sprayed or dipped for mites. You can use a general medication such as 5 in 1 but I have no experience with this as I prefer to use specific meds for specific things. Use Novalsan or ACV in the water at least once weekly and it will create an acidic environment in your loft and this will cut down on things such as Cocci and salmonella. Sounds like you have your loft pretty much ready for the big day tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I probably won't sleep too well tonite. I am expecting an early call from the PO in the morning. Thanks again, and I appreciate your help, Don.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Besides dunking their heads in the waterer to show them where it is, I pretty much leave them alone. I will usually put a bath out for them with some Borax in it for any pests that might have come with them. I will then worm them within a few days. Other than that, just leave them to get used to their new digs.

Good Luck!

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts