Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raise your hand if you've ever had a bird come in weeks after a race, in perfect condition? :rolleyes:
I have no clue when this little girl came in this week, whether it was today, or since last weekend. It's been rainy all week, which means it got dark out even faster in the afternoons...so, getting home at 5:30 everyday means not noticing new arrivals til the weekend.
SO, today when I called everyone in from their flight, I noticed a little BB hen with a yellow countermark. At first I thought it was from today and someone else's, but I realized that was silly because it's too early for any of those birds to be near here. With a closer look I saw it was in deed mine, from the first (and only) race I've flown this season. It's been so long I've already forgot when that was. Over a month ago at least. She was completely spotless and at a perfect weight. Definitely not sporting the bedraggled look a bird would have if it'd been out in the 'wild' this week, with all this hurricane weather lately. I'm glad she's home, but I am a bit tired of getting birds in late like this, because I KNOW someone had my birds somewhere. It's very likely they didn't notice, but the yellow countermark had to stick out eventually :rolleyes: It's more likely that they decided it looked like a good bird and tried to keep it in for a few weeks before releasing. Of course that wasn't going to work.

This isn't the first time it's happened either. A couple weeks ago I got another bird in, in the same great shape. Last year I can think of three that came in late as well. One was in good shape but you could tell the poor thing was tired. Another was 2 weeks behind, great looking, full of energy. And the last one, which had already won me a race, came in almost a month after it was last seen, as if nothing ever happened.

There's no way I can know if these birds came to someone in horrible shape, and they just got them back up to snuff before releasing for home. That would be nice of them, but for goodness sake, let me know if you have my pigeons. It makes me feel better knowing I'll have one or two more of my babies home, especially with how horrible this year has gone. That's what seamless racing bands are for people! I just get this feeling that if someone intended on the bird going back home, they would have contacted me somehow. Otherwise, they'd keep their mouth shut and keep the bird. I don't know, maybe I'm just being negative :p But it makes me feel even more so when the bird I got home today, was a money bird. That auction race that it COULD have participated in, is next weekend. But her butt is staying here.

End of rant for today :D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
No sweetie, you're not being negative. This sort of thing goes on all the time, everywhere AND in our combine.
One of our members got two birds in last week that had been "lost" in a race. One of them was missing it's chip ring. Any one who's had to try to remove a chip ring knows that there's NO WAY that they just "fall off"...........someone removed that birds chip ring.
I've lost quite a few birds this year myself......WAY more than usual. I"m sure that the majority of them are hanging out somewhere but I'd bet a million dollars that at least 1 or 2 of them are in someone's loft and there's no doubt when someone gets one of my birds because they have a sticker on the chip ring with name, phone number and email address.
That's why I'm pretty sure I'm done after the next three weeks are over. I've had enough. :(

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know I'm done this season. These little boogers will be moved over to the OB loft very soon. Hopefully I'll get them a bit better trained so OB's may go over a bit smoother. Haven't been able to train since the first race, and since I missed Charlottesville, I'd feel very uncomfortable sending birds who haven't even raced before, any farther than that for their first time.
So I guess the other racers won't be getting anymore of my birds for a while :p

I have a hard time believing anyone in our combine would do something like that, but I know it happens. Guess having a good bunch of people in our club has spoiled me, LOL :p

I don't want you to give up on racing, but I guess if you really want to, then that's up to you. I can understand though, I've already found out how stressful it can be! :eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have birds that were in somebodys loft for 2 weeks or so also. Although the racing band was not taken, I had clubmate that had their racing band talen off. I also had some that did not return untill the end of racing season. I think that in some cases other racers hold your bird back and take the band because they are afraid of competition and will do anything to win, and on the other hand some racers have over 100 plus YB that they do not know if there was a stray in there loft until shipping night. I hate that other racers do this sort of thing. You all shouldn't give up too quick. One loft races and futurites are another option to go.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well I know I'm done this season. These little boogers will be moved over to the OB loft very soon. Hopefully I'll get them a bit better trained so OB's may go over a bit smoother. Haven't been able to train since the first race, and since I missed Charlottesville, I'd feel very uncomfortable sending birds who haven't even raced before, any farther than that for their first time.
So I guess the other racers won't be getting anymore of my birds for a while :p

I have a hard time believing anyone in our combine would do something like that, but I know it happens. Guess having a good bunch of people in our club has spoiled me, LOL :p

I don't want you to give up on racing, but I guess if you really want to, then that's up to you. I can understand though, I've already found out how stressful it can be!
I know for a FACT that it happens in our combine. When a member of our club has a bird missing and gets a call 3 weeks later asking what the bird is off of, ummmmm........:confused:
Of course I'm not naming names, but that happened to Doris last year.
What I don't understand is why someone would WANT to keep a bird that came to their loft AND trapped in. Just what does that say about the bird? ;)
It's pretty unlikely (I would assume) that a really good bird that has either won a race or two or been at the top of the sheet would even go to someone else's loft. I know it DOES happen, because I had one of Warrens birds (a combine winner) come to my loft a couple of years ago, but of course I returned the bird to him, but I don't think that's the norm with a good bird.
Anyway.........that's just part of the game. A part I don't like, but what can you do?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have birds that were in somebodys loft for 2 weeks or so also. Although the racing band was not taken, I had clubmate that had their racing band talen off. I also had some that did not return untill the end of racing season. I think that in some cases other racers hold your bird back and take the band because they are afraid of competition and will do anything to win, and on the other hand some racers have over 100 plus YB that they do not know if there was a stray in there loft until shipping night. I hate that other racers do this sort of thing. You all shouldn't give up too quick. One loft races and futurites are another option to go.
I've had the same thing happen. Two years ago, on the first OB race, a BB landed and would NOT trap!! I was SOOO mad, until it FINALLY trapped and was a YB lost on a race the previous year. No way, with the shape it was in, had it been in the wild for 6 months. The very next week, the exact same thing happened. A bird landed and wouldn't trap. Finally when it did, it was another "lost" YB from the previous year.
And the BAD thing is, I'm REALLY no threat to anyone in the combine as far as winning races. I win one here and there, but I certainly am not THE ONE to have to fear every week.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow! :eek: Well, now I'm convinced, LOL. That sucks really bad. I can understand with the winners, but my little ole birds? :p But yeah, nothing we can do about it. I'm not surprised people take the chip rings. Those things are expensive! Still doesn't make it right :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,
I saw something on tv a while ago about pigeon fanciers in a city somewhere who "compete" by flying their birds and trying to get pigeons from other lofts to trap in with theirs. It looked like a freindly competition, with birds going back and forth...
I can see how, in racing, if you take it very seriously, tactics like that could get out of hand. I'm just getting started in this sport, and I'm only doing it for fun. I'd hate to think that my "fun" might be spoiled by dirty tricks and hard feelings.
Just trying to get a feel for what this sport, and the people involved are all about...
Best Regards! Bill KU4QB
p.s. My first 2 birds are due in by USPS on Wednesday. I'm on pins and needles___and the "Shipping" thread didn't help.LOL

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this is a fairly minor thing. It's not going to stop me from racing, just felt like ranting about it :p There are ups and downs to racing but overall I think it's fun. There are the people who are in it for fun, and those who are more competitive and serious. Some are out for the money, and others just like to race. There's a whole lot of different people that race, and almost everyone has different views. Things will be more enjoyable if you get into a club of good people. I've heard of some clubs that argue quite a bit, and that could really spoil it for you. But our club somehow agrees on mostly everything, even when it comes to voting. So even if I end up losing in the end, the experience for me is pretty great :) I hope everything starts out great for you too. I'd be on pins and needles too. First birds are exciting :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks MaryOfExeter,
The local club seems like a great bunch. I don't expect anything like that from them. This seems like a great hobby to get into. I've always enjoyed watching the feral flocks around here, and the homing instinct fascinates me. 100 miles, 300, even 600 or 800?!!!
I can't wait! But I know it will be a year or more before I really get very far with this. :-O
Regs! Bill KU4QB

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Aviephile, let me apologize if I've said anything to make you think that this sport isn't a good one. As with anything in life, there's always the bad apples and nothing will ever change that.
I think that for the most part, we find that at the club level, things run pretty smooth. It's with the bigger organizations like the combines and federations where the clubs are big and small and one side or the other feels that the others get an advantage. da di da di da............so it goes.
Get your birds and enjoy them. Race or not, I DO love my birds and don't ever plan to be without them. ;)
And although I can't say that I get along with or even like some of the people I have to deal with, I DO know LOTS of great people in this sport and have many many friends.
It's sort of like people you have to work with but don't like. You TRY to get along and be civil WHEN it's called for, but you don't have to be bestest friends..........LOL
Mind if I ask what club you'll be flying with? Looks like you're in the Fayetteville area maybe. Don't think I know any of those folks.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
About 5 years ago we moved into my grandpa's farm house with him and we took over his birds along with our birds. Two years ago we had a bird come back that wanted into my grandpa's old racing coop which i had been using previously for my hobby birds and my dads stock cocks. The bird didnt want in the yb or ob coop at all.. So eventually we open the door up the bird flew into the hallway, we shut the door and caught the bird. We asked my grandpa if it was his bird and he said he lost it about 2 years ago right before we took over his coop's and flying. The bird had perfect health, no lice, amazing weight, and had yellow near his mouth from food and to this day we still thought somone had bred from him. That bird went back onto the race team that year to become one of our best birds.

Unfortunatly we have moved and no longer raced and the bird has been sold .

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. I just went through my emails. The auction race this bird was eligible to go to, was a couple weekends ago. Not next week, like I thought. I had my money races backwards. Maybe the person saw it was on the auction list, and thought 'hey, one less bird to beat!' :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmm. I just went through my emails. The auction race this bird was eligible to go to, was a couple weekends ago. Not next week, like I thought. I had my money races backwards. Maybe the person saw it was on the auction list, and thought 'hey, one less bird to beat!' :rolleyes::p
I am pretty sure they did just that. Some people are afraid of competition, if they have the chance, i think they can care less about the competitors birds, escpecially if they happen to trap in a bird that has been doing well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i'll probably never proffessionally race birds (just a hobby) but i'll bet it's really fun and really stressful at the same time:p.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i'll probably never proffessionally race birds (just a hobby) but i'll bet it's really fun and really stressful at the same time:p.

Racing pigeon in the club level is really fun. Its really exciting on race day when you are waiting for your birds to get home. It is also nerve recking also. But when the first bird return and traps, you are really interested in which bird was your first to trap and come home. For me theres little stress. The only stressful part of it is waiting for them to return home and wondering how many more will return home or not.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Another thing to add, if my memory serves me correctly,a post on this site "can't find owner of If 2095 paof 09 " the person stated that a wildlife rehab.place treats racing pigeons cuts the band off and releases them also. That's the post I double checked. Page 3

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why would they cut the bands off and release them? Then if the bird does make it home, the original owner may not realize it was their bird, or if he/she does, then it won't be able to race anymore. That's not really fair :(

About the stress, it isn't really. The only stressful part is when things go wrong. Also at combine meetings; oh boy :eek::p Lots of different views and it can make you really mad, LOL. The only stress for me right now is the cost and knowing we don't have much money. But then, that's nothing, since everything costs money, haha.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had bird that had all his primary flights pulled off when someone found him. I was glad that he was found but I was not please when I was told that they pulled his flights. I ended up not racing him the yb season. I hope to race him next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts