Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two doves two months ago. I was told they were two females because I don't want babies. They both bow coo all the time, they both laugh all the time, they take turns eating regurgitated food from each other's mouths. Now one of them is acting like she has a nest, being very territorial and not letting me touch her inside her cage. Today we came home to see them mating.
I don't want to get rid of one of my birds because I love them both. I also really don't want babies. Am I able to just replace her eggs when she lays them? How often will they mate? Please let me know what my options are!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
They will lay eggs every month. I can count on my two rescues that are house birds, having eggs between the 1st-4th (for both eggs) every month. I replace them with fake eggs. You have to replace them otherwise they will lay new ones very quickly and it takes a lot out of them when they lay eggs. I got mine (the fake eggs) from amazon for about $5. You need to make sure that you are supplementing their diet with added calcium and vitamin D3, if you are not already. They will sit on the fake eggs, thinking they are real, and when they don't hatch after about 3 weeks, they will abandon them. You will take the eggs out, they will mate again, and the process will start over. Just supplement diet, replace eggs, and you are good to go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts