Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 3 pairs of birds, and 3 nest boxes, and they are nesting on the floor. Are my next boxes not up to pigeon standards?
They sit on them, and will go in there every now and then, but they wont nest in there...
My top bully male, is very territorial of his nest...which is on the floor...which is by the food and water...so any other bird trying to get to the food to water he will chase them off...I have raised them off the ground...and he still chases.
Any advice? :confused:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
That's the problem with birds nesting on the floor. They think the whole darn floor belongs to them..........LOL
About the only thing you can do is put some food and water in another spot. Either up on a shelf or on top of one of the nest boxes...........
When I made the mistake of letting my birds nest on the floor, Everett built me a little "wall" to put around the nest bowl. I put a bowl of food behind it and it helped some, but of course, I was feeding all of my birds in their nest boxes anyway.
Here's a pic of what he built. Just sort of kept them from seeing all the goings on in the loft.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They had terracotta dishes in there before, I had just taken them out to clean the plastic underneath. They just sit in there and poop. :confused:
...Maybe if I move sticks up there they will get the idea?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Looks like you have some kind of material on the floor ... maybe they like a soft, cushy bed ??? We have chips & tobacco branches in some of our boxes and nest bowls in others (some with chips and some without). So far, only 1 pair has used a bowl and that one has chips.

As for the food and your bully bird...we had the same situation and I took all food & water off the floor EXCEPT when there are/were babies who needed to learn to eat/drink. I put the food and water on top of the nest boxes, on the other side of the loft (8' away), with the hopes that the other birds could at least get to it when Birdzilla was sitting Nest Duty. It worked (with the added benefit of taking some of that hot air out of Birdzilla !! :eek: He's no longer a bully :D)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
A bare bare nest box will not Attract them to use them, put Bowls in and a ton of nesting Material, next time they nest on the floor break it up, and put obstructions in the corners. Dave P.S. NO WAY do you have enough Nesting material in the Loft.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boxes are 12 inches deep by 20 wide. I places some nice sticks in the nest bowls and next to, well see if they get the hint next time around, or if they go out of there way to take all the sticks out and place them on the floor lol :rolleyes:
It wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't nest right in front of the door, lol I fear for my feet every time I walk over them. :eek:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just keep at it by breaking up their nest as Dave suggested. You're trying to retrain a creature who speaks a different language and lives by different rules. With dogs, we tell the owner "If the dog gets up 99 times, put him back in a "sit" 100 times" Be calm, patient, persistent, and consistent!

Can you close a bird into your nest boxes? If so, you could try closing the hen up when she goes in for the afternoon/evening shift. Just be sure she can get food & water before & after (or during.a...if you can arrange that). If they aren't laying right now, try closing them BOTH in a nest for awhile with the hopes that they'll "choose" that very one as their's.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Wolf wood is Right. As an aside i Keep My waters Always up High, on top of last top row of Nest Boxes, so debris is kept out. My Feeders are also 18" off the floor. with a Metal tray under them to help keep feed off of the Floor, and STOP any Rodents. When i Have Young close to weaning i put, as most do here, Containers of Food and Water in front of each Nest Box. Dave

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
buy a bale of pine needles so they can make nests with them, put them in the boxes with the nest bowls, they will get it sooner or later, or use hay, just stuff a handfull in the box they will be attracted to that in there and hope that they use the box if they see all that good "stuff" in there....

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I agree with Dave. I put a nest bowl with a little bit of nesting material and my birds go crazy. Your nest boxes that are 12" deep is probably fine. I had those and they still use it. I now use 16" deep and they prefer it. Your birds might even want some privacy. I have 2 breeding pairs that are nesting on my loft floor. It was their choice even though I have nest boxes. I think some birds are like that. I built 2 new nest boxes yesterday and this 2 floor nesting pairs took it. I ousted them because I built that nest box for my homer cock that came back after 1 month of being gone.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Now I have one pair in the boxes....they picked one with no bowl or sticks in it. I am hoping that the other 2 will have there next batch in the boxes. If not I might have to just move the door ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.