Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 13 birds in my loft. Have been letting them fly free in the evenings for about 4-5 weeks now. I have two birds that have started to refuse to re-enter loft. They will hang around on the house roof or loft roof, wont fly away. The rest will re-enter with no issues.
They all have been "trained" to enter threw the bob-trap, and all the birds where entering just fine. The last 2 weeks or so I have two birds that will not enter. Spend the nights either on house roof or loft roof. They do not get food, from me at least, unless they are in loft.

Any ideas on getting them back in the loft?

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't worry to much about it. Every couple of weeks one of by birds will go Rogue on me and hang out in the neighborhood for a day or two....They will get hungry or thirsty enough and come in....also if you keep flying your birds it will entice them to come back in with them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have 13 birds in my loft. Have been letting them fly free in the evenings for about 4-5 weeks now. I have two birds that have started to refuse to re-enter loft. They will hang around on the house roof or loft roof, wont fly away. The rest will re-enter with no issues.
They all have been "trained" to enter threw the bob-trap, and all the birds where entering just fine. The last 2 weeks or so I have two birds that will not enter. Spend the nights either on house roof or loft roof. They do not get food, from me at least, unless they are in loft.

Any ideas on getting them back in the loft?

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR
If they aren't coming in with the rest of the birds, they shouldn't get any feed at all.......in the loft or not. When they don't respond and the others do........don't feed them. Period. Next day, if they do the same thing......don't feed them. They WILL get the message if you persist. ;)
You can't let them come in when THEY want to and feed them. They get fed when YOU say so............or they don't eat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed one time a day, evening. The other birds eat all that I put out, roughly 1 ounce per bird. If they dont come in with the others, they dont get fed period, other birds eat it all :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
none have made nests since the Paramyxovirus scare here a while back. A couple of birds are roosting together, but no nest building. I'm thinking they are all males :/ Maybe the two that stay out are just looking for the ladies?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Maybe, or there is a fight going on and they are outsiders. Couple of ladies in the loft will do good to overall atmosphere. Birds need stronger stimulants then just a food.
Territory
Mates
Food
You
These are bird's priorities.

·
Registered
287 Posts
WiskeyJar,

The once a day thing might be your problem.....It's not okay to have first come first eat everything approach. It is your responsiblity to make sure ALL of your birds get food.

Would you come back home if everyday your Dad let your Brother eat all of your food becuase he came downstairs to the dinner table first every day?

Not me...I would leave and go live at Del Taco.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not sure if ggoss1 is giving some humour but in the pigeon game, this is what I think...Birds don't have money to buy their food and if they don't land on the ground they can't find their food...There's no food on those roofs...I do the same way like Lovebirds mentioned above...There are few of my birds who doesn't respond to my command (whistling or feed shake) but I don't want them to stay outside...I prefer them to eat than to be eaten...Eventually they will go in and nest time I call them in they are the ones who goes down and enter the trap because they are hungry...Yes, they will drink but to eat, well they get the food next time I feed everybody again...I suggest this, " don't give them food even they enter late...They have to enter the same minutes the whole flock enters if not they don't eat...I know it sound too harsh and cold hearted sumbleach but that's how you keep them safe inside the loft...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My question to wiskeyjar is: how long did you train these YB's on the trap door? I do train mine for a month on the landing board with the cage to prevent them from flying off...So by the time they are 2 months old they will be out wandering and flapping and all kind of flying around...Their wings are not strong enough to get higher so they stick around and just enjoy the outdoors, until they get bored, hungry or thirsty then that is when they go on the landing board and walk through the trap and fly down...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news as of last night all 13 birds are back in loft.

Have trained with a bell for feed time and all have been trained and used the traps for months now. These are older birds that have been with me for at least 6 months or more.

I only feed inside the loft with feed "slots" one for each bird. Or at least 14 indiviual holes, only have 13 birds total.

Its always the same two birds that stay out. They never seem to leave the area, they fly with the others when they are flying in the evenings. Just dont re-enter with the others.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rebels....
HAHAHA thats exactly what the wife calls them... "the rebel boys" Been thinking of getting them tiny little rebal flags to drape around their little necks....:p

I went into the loft after dark last night and each pigeon has its own roost, none are even close to each other. Guess its time I got some lady birds for the guys ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had a bird do this but he got dehidrated ,hungry and i was just teasing him to come in with my other birds and i got him in today so keep patient and they will come in

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Good news as of last night all 13 birds are back in loft.

Have trained with a bell for feed time and all have been trained and used the traps for months now. These are older birds that have been with me for at least 6 months or more.

I only feed inside the loft with feed "slots" one for each bird. Or at least 14 indiviual holes, only have 13 birds total.

Its always the same two birds that stay out. They never seem to leave the area, they fly with the others when they are flying in the evenings. Just dont re-enter with the others.
try letting only one of the two rebels out next time and see if it traps with the others.
pigeons are followers and if those two are hanging out together one might be waiting for the other to enter.
If neither of the two decide to enter they have a buddy to hang out with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
try letting only one of the two rebels out next time and see if it traps with the others.
Welp gave that a try I did, The one rebel that I let fly last night is still out, spent the night on top of the loft. <shakes his head at the silly birds> at least they dont leave the area. :cool: He'll come in when he gets hungry enough.

I have 3 dogs that keep all the nieghbors cats out of my yard, dogs leave birds alone. Dont have, or havnt seen, any hawks or owls around either, so I am not tooo worried about preditors.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Another thing to do is grab it after dark and put it inside. They don't move for nothing when it's dark.

That would work IF Wiskey could get TO them or him. If he or they are on a roof top...welll....that's a little high unless he has a long ladder and the roof isn't steep! :eek:

AND, even if he can get them, what's to stop them from doing the same thing all over again??? Nope, sounds like they need "incentive" to get back where they belong!

Shi ;) :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts