Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the aviary door early this morning to let them do what they were born to do, FLY! They have been settled here for 5 weeks. They must be having a ball because I cannot see them flying around the loft. From any of your past experiences, will the first flight be a nice long one, and I am curious as to how far they will venture? I must admit that I am like a nervous parent not being able to see them, but I know that they are doing what they love to do. As long as they are happy, it will help to keep my concerns to a minimum. Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The birds are gone? These weren't young birds, right? I ran back through some of your posts and got the impression that these are 3 or 4 month old birds or were when you got them, so that would make them 4 or 5 months old now.
Is that right? before I go any further. LOL

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The youngest 2 are about 3 months old now,and the rest are about 6 months. They were never let out of the breeders loft, and today is the first time I left them out. Thanks for the reply Renee.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I let them out approximately 20 minutes ago. I just went back outside, but cannot see them flying. Did I screw up?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, none of us can say, yea they're fine or no, they're gone. Only time will tell. Since you let them out early in the morning, they COULD stay gone all day long and come in close to roosting time OR, they could show up any minute. There's really no way to tell until the sun sets and you let us know what happened. Birds the age of yours are VERY wing strong and if they have the stamina, can fly for a long long ways before they tire out, sit down and possibly wonder, "where the heck am I and how did I get here?".........:rolleyes:
I sure hope that they will all return and everything will be just fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I THINK, that it's easier to settle an older young bird if you've got other young birds that are already settled and you just hope that the older ones follow the lead of the ones who actually know what they're doing. I realize that you just started and have to work with what you've got.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much Renee. I will sit outside all day watching for them. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope they remember how much I care for them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thank you so much Renee. I will sit outside all day watching for them. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope they remember how much I care for them.
I just remembered that you're in CA so it's only 8:30 there.........could be a long day. I know exactly how you feel though. Been there and done that. Just think good thoughts and I'll do the same. ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes. The youngest 2 are about 3 months old now,and the rest are about 6 months. They were never let out of the breeders loft, and today is the first time I left them out. Thanks for the reply Renee.
I know they have not been flown from the breeders loft, but just in case, how far away is the breeders loft? if they don't come back in a day or so perhaps you can call him to see if anybirds came to his place. :), but have faith they will surprise you sometimes!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He lives 300 miles to the north of me. Thanks to the both of you for the comforting words.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Too late now but first time releases always make it late in the evening so they will not go far or stay out too long. But I also agree, They were born to fly. My thoughts and prayers are with your birds today.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Don, these birds are banded right? You have a record of all the band numbers? IF they any should get really lost and not make it back, there's always the chance that someone will find them and call someone.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Any news on the birds? Did they flock up and circle for any time before you lost track of them? I sure hope they get back soon. Did you feed them before you let them out?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, they were purchased from skylakesion loft in chico, CA. It is 1140 am here in california, and two of them have returned. One of the younger ones, and one of the older ones. The older bird trapped in, but the younger one is sitting on the loft relaxing. At least that is 2 for 6 so far. Will keep you posted. I am sure the ones still out are having the best day of their life flying around and seeing the country. That is great, but they need to remember where home is.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They pretty much left the aviary one by one, and no I did not feed them this morning. I wanted them to remember food is in the loft when hunger becomes their primary concern. But I imagine a pigeon that was created to fly, is on a high about the flying, and hunger is not a concern rite now.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yes, they were purchased from skylakesion loft in chico, CA. It is 1140 am here in california, and two of them have returned. One of the younger ones, and one of the older ones. The older bird trapped in, but the younger one is sitting on the loft relaxing. At least that is 2 for 6 so far. Will keep you posted. I am sure the ones still out are having the best day of their life flying around and seeing the country. That is great, but they need to remember where home is.
YIPPEE!! That's good news.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is 710 pm here, about a half hour of sun left. 3 of 6 are here, but I have not seen the other 3 since they flew this morning. Is it possible that birds will fly and stay away all day, or is it more likely that they have tried to go where they were born? I sure hope not. I am keeping an eye outside around the loft, the house, and the neighborhood, but so far no luck. I hope they get in the loft before dark if they are in the neighborhood, as there are lots of cats on my street.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Your birds behavior could have given anyone heart attack. They should have not done that. They are supposed to linger around first before venturing off. But then again, they are sion, bred for long distance. I suppose the other 3 will come back tomorrow because your other 3 made it home.

You are lucky that at least 3 came home. Usually their behavior showed characteristics of birds getting lost. But yours came back. So there is hope.

G

·
I have to agree Im not sure I would have let out birds that I had purchased from someone that were already laying eggs at your loft cuz that means they are way past the point of settling to me .. I mean yeah they were ment to fly but theres a point where living the prisoner life is better then the outcome of losing such said birds , espesially when they are from someplace like the sion connection of skylakesions :s the fact alone that they were that old plus they werent flown there means to me they wouldnt even know how to get back there if lost and then to die out in the wild and fend for their own would way heavy on my mind so sure do hope they make it back to you or to their previous ower so keeping my fingers crossed for you on this :eek:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Three came back so release them in the afternoon for about thirty minutes. Feed them very light this morning, feed them good after their flight. Do you have them trained to a noise for feeding? Today's release is in hope the other three see them and come home, but they may show up before you release the three you have. My thoughts are still with you.

Tony

1 - 20 of 42 Posts