Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting real tired of hawks getting my rollers, so I'm thinking of selling them. Any interest in them? I have three proven breeding pairs and eight young birds. If someone were interested, I could arrange to get pictures and discuss financial terms.

·
Registered
348 Posts
dont sell your bird because of the hawks, screw them,read up on why so much trouble,there has to be something you can do.the people you fly with will help you, iam sure you enjoy your birds.-they are good for the soul,hang tough,it will be good, let mr know how it turns out ron

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont sell your bird because of the hawks, screw them,read up on why so much trouble,there has to be something you can do.the people you fly with will help you, iam sure you enjoy your birds.-they are good for the soul,hang tough,it will be good, let mr know how it turns out ron
I don't fly with anyone. Just a lone flyer. I don't know what I could do aside from illegally trapping or killing the hawks. There is a nested pair of hawks in a tree 150 feet from my back yard. Those two rarely come into my yard due to crows that nest in the area, but when my rollers fly out of my yard, I'm sure the hawks are having a snack. I started with fourteen rollers less than a year ago. I have had thirteen hatch, and currently have fifteen. That means I have lost twelve birds flying between August and October of last year and since April of this year. That is more than two birds per month loss. I'm thinking it's not worth it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay...thinking I may sell. Here is the inventory.

Proven Breeding Pairs
1. Red Saddle Cock (Scooter), Black & White Baldhead Hen (Chloe)
2. Black Badge Cock (Speckles), Yellow Hen (Bubbles)
3. Kite White Flight Cock (Blackjack), Almond Hen (Almond)

Young birds and Fliers
1. 2010 Silver Saddle (Cock?) (Mystery) – 1
2. 2010 Dun Check Cock (Butter) – 2
3. 2011 (w/2010 band) Black Badge Unknown Sex (Smores) – 2
4. 2011 Silver Saddle (Hen?) (Abbey) - 1
5. 2010 (w/2008 band) Red Check Badge Cock w/feathered legs (Clinger)
6. 2009 (w/2008 band) Yellow Splash (Hen?) (Twisty)
7. 2011 Dilute Black Saddle (Gray?) Unknown Sex – 2
8. 2011 Dilute Black (Gray?) Baldhead Unknown Sex – 1
9. 2011 Dilute Black (Gray?) Badge Unknown Sex – 2

Numbers 7 through 9 are still squeakers being fed by their parents (two to three weeks). The young birds with numbers after them indicate which pair is the parents. Unfortunately, all of the offspring of couple #3 have been taken by hawks.

Anyone want to make an offer?

Edit:
Couple #1 is on eggs now. Couple #2 is on eggs now. Couple #3 looks ready to pop out some eggs any minute. I have seen Butter and Twisty mating and doing all that boy/girl stuff, but I have also seen Twisty do the strutting and tail dragging. That's why the question mark for Twisty's sex.

Proper etiquette states that I should put a price. So...this is what my mentor gets for rollers: $45.00 for a mated pair. $15.00 for single flyers or youngbirds. I would prefer to sell the lot, but I'm open to all possibilities. If you want to buy them all, or at least six, we can work out a deal that will be satisfactory to all.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Proven Breeding Pairs

Young birds and Fliers
7. 2011 Dilute Black Saddle (Gray?) Unknown Sex – 2
8. 2011 Dilute Black (Gray?) Baldhead Unknown Sex – 1
9. 2011 Dilute Black (Gray?) Badge Unknown Sex – 2

Numbers 7 through 9 are still squeakers being fed by their parents (two to three weeks). The young birds with numbers after them indicate which pair is the parents. Unfortunately, all of the offspring of couple #3 have been taken by hawks.

Anyone want to make an offer?

Edit:
Couple #1 is on eggs now. Couple #2 is on eggs now. Couple #3 looks ready to pop out some eggs any minute. I have seen Butter and Twisty mating and doing all that boy/girl stuff, but I have also seen Twisty do the strutting and tail dragging. That's why the question mark for Twisty's sex.

Proper etiquette states that I should put a price. So...this is what my mentor gets for rollers: $45.00 for a mated pair. $15.00 for single flyers or youngbirds. I would prefer to sell the lot, but I'm open to all possibilities. If you want to buy them all, or at least six, we can work out a deal that will be satisfactory to all.
Edit #2:
I purchased these birds originally from Madden Lofts in Braintree, MA. Although he doesn't compete now, he has been a longtime member of the NBRC, and flew his family of birds for many years in competition. These birds are descended from deep-rolling stock. I don't compete with them, but my kids and I have enjoyed flying them. I have watched while one of these birds out-flew a red-tailed hawk - escaping from it at the last minute by rolling as the hawk was closing on it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ptras--I used to have rollers.------------and Hawks
I learned ----
If you let them out ever day---you better have 365 birds. Thats one a day for the Hawks.
Some days it feels like that!

Foe some reason, the hawks seem much more interested in the rollers than in other breeds. Earlier in the spring, I thought the hawk problem was solved, as a pair of crows nested in a tree in my front yard. They chased the local hawk away, and I didn't see one for three weeks. Then, a week ago, a pair of hawks made a nest in the top of a 150 foot pine tree in my neighbor's backyard. I haven't seen them flying over my yard (yet), but I'm sure that with some tasty rollers tempting them, they would be there in no time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
yup i have homers and im thinking of getting a few rollers for the kids to mess with.. maybe you sould try that Eye thing they sell for hawks and try hanging cd's around the area i hear that it flashes in the hawks eye and they hate it ... so if your a little cd happy your yard could look like and x-mass tree hahaha ... just a thought..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Breeding Pairs For Sale

I have sold the eight young birds. I still have the three breeding pairs if anyone is interested. Each of these pairs has produced a number of young, and are great parents. (In fact, the cock Speckles is the best dad...he will feed any squeaker in the loft that comes flapping and squeaking at him.) $40.00 each pair, or all three for $100.00. Buyer pays for box and shipping from Pembroke , Mass. 02359.

Proven Breeding Pairs

Young birds and Fliers All sold!
7. 2011 Dilute Black Saddle (Gray?) Unknown Sex – 1
8. 2011 Dilute Black (Gray?) Badge Unknown Sex – 2

Numbers 7 & 8 are still squeakers being fed by their parents (two to three weeks). The young birds with numbers after them indicate which pair is the parents. Unfortunately, all of the offspring of couple #3 have been taken by hawks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.