Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will sound so pathetic coming from a 6 ft/240 lb guy...... But whenever I put my hands anywhere near my birds including a 3 week old baby they launch to bite me and an automatic reaction in me makes me react like a petrified matador pulling my hand out the way :eek:.....is it going to hurt ? It's more a natural reaction than scared of getting bit, but I've got to get to grips with this I'm going to need to hold them at some stage but how if they are intent on biting my fingers off.... Exaggeration I know but do all pigeons want to bite hands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This will sound so pathetic coming from a 6 ft/240 lb guy...... But whenever I put my hands anywhere near my birds including a 3 week old baby they launch to bite me and an automatic reaction in me makes me react like a petrified matador pulling my hand out the way :eek:.....is it going to hurt ? It's more a natural reaction than scared of getting bit, but I've got to get to grips with this I'm going to need to hold them at some stage but how if they are intent on biting my fingers off.... Exaggeration I know but do all pigeons want to bite hands.
Don't worry i was the same as you, except 1 inch shorter. Some times i still get scared but I've gotten use to it. they can't do much damage with there beak , they cant even crack a seed. and the wings don't hurt that much.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No. Not all of them bite. The more familiar they are with you and comfortable, they may not do that so much. Many are fine when out of their cage or box, but defend their territory if you put your hand into their nest box or cage. It isn't going to hurt very much. Just a pinch. Not like a parrot biting you. The 3 week old baby is learning that from his parents. If they are defensive around you, the babies learn that. If they are calm and friendly, the babies see this and figure you're okay. It is pretty much a learned behavior. My friendly parents eat from my hand at the nest box. The baby will see this and eventually join them. So he gets to know I am friend and not foe. The mean ones who attack my hand are showing their young ones that I am a predator.
Let them bite you a few times, and you will get used to it. Some can bite harder than others, but they don't really do any damage. LOL.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Don't worry i was the same as you, except 1 inch shorter. Some times i still get scared but I've gotten use to it. they can't do much damage with there beak , they cant even crack a seed. and the wings don't hurt that much.
You've obviously never had a wing flick to the face ....I assure you , it does hurt !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts