Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for all you naysayers, the verdict is in. I just received a call from my friends
about the black nest pads. They had them tested at the UC Davis labs and they are very,very Toxic so I was right about them killing the babies. They are so toxic that the lab techs said they would be toxic to humans even if we slept on them. I will try to get copies of the report to post up just for you guys that still don't believe me, I started a new post here so everyone would see it. GENE

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I ain't no naysayer for I said they were dangerous to begin with and I am so glad that you follow through with the investigation about these nest pads..c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I always believed you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always knew what the cause was but they didn't want to believe me until now. The lab tests proved I was right and it was the black felt nest pads GENE

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pads

I think the birds are still dying even after bathing the parents. I think they are having a hard time getting it out of the feathers:mad:.
Jack

·
Registered
163 Posts
I swithced to tobacco stems three years ago. for $50 including shipping I get 25 pounds, enough for all breeding sesaon. They are suppose to be very healthy.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I swithced to tobacco stems three years ago. for $50 including shipping I get 25 pounds, enough for all breeding sesaon. They are suppose to be very healthy.
They say that the tabacco stems repel bugs that might be harmful to the babies.

·
Registered
163 Posts
First time I have heard that, seems like anything natural such as tobacco stems or pine needles would not be hurmful. Care to share where you are getting your information from?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Better yet Here is a qutoe from Condtionfreak back in Jan 2008 saying that
"One of the best nesting materials is tobacco stems "

Qutoed
"
conditionfreak
Matriarch Join Date: Jan 2008

I put sand in the bottom of my nest bowls, AND also give the birds nesting material such as pine needles or straw. Straw is better in cold weather because it helps to keep the eggs and babies warmer. You have to do this before your birds lay to prevent spraddle legs. One of the best nesting materials is tobacco stems but they cost some money. They are the little "veins" running down the middle of each tobacco leaf. They are good for keeping parasites away form the birds.

Here is a link that should help deal with babies already affected. Go to the fourth article down on this page. Good luck.

http://pigeonracingpigeons.com/page/6/ "

·
Registered
330 Posts
Harmfull to the bugs.

I think he is saying that they (Tabacco stems/Pine needles) are harmful to the bugs not the babies. At least that is how I have read it. I use pine needles with no problems.
Jack

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I think he is saying that they (Tabacco stems/Pine needles) are harmful to the bugs not the babies. At least that is how I have read it. I use pine needles with no problems.
Jack
That's exactly what I meant! ;)

Thanks Jack!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just for all you naysayers, the verdict is in. I just received a call from my friends
about the black nest pads. They had them tested at the UC Davis labs and they are very,very Toxic so I was right about them killing the babies. They are so toxic that the lab techs said they would be toxic to humans even if we slept on them. I will try to get copies of the report to post up just for you guys that still don't believe me, I started a new post here so everyone would see it. GENE
You are correct. A fellow flyer here lost his whole first round to them. He called up Ed and he sent him the brown ones as replacements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts