Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading somewhere that black oil seed isn't good for pigeons. True / False?
I have cardinals and feed them black oil seed = its around. Yesterday as I was filling feeders with a seed mix and I made a mess = dumpted a lot of seed. Not a big deal as the pigeons typically clean everything up. What I noticed is they first ate the black oil seed then the other seeds... Are my feathered friends at risk?
Thank you.
~ 4zp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I'm referring to black oil seed - not the striped sunflower seed / not roasted or salted etc.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with them eating the black oil seeds ~ just something I recall reading that recently caught my eye and gave me reason to question / doubt what I already know... I've had many birds over the years eat the blkoil seed and hadn't noticed any issues... I too started to worry as its getting near to the cooler months and I try to keep blkoil seed around for all... The internal alarm went off that I might create a nutrition issue / illness that I'd have to fix... and I only have space for so many that need a winter home.
Good to know you too (Lovebirds) give black oil seed to your birds. Mine just seem to gobble them up before any other seed that's out. whew!
Thank you.
~ 4zp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts