Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone breeding from Black Widow lines? I see Champ Camp Lofts has a picture on the cover of Feb 1st Digest. Was woundering what crosses are working. The pair I have are Aviator/Black Widow and Phantom but they are nestmates. I didn't breed from them last year because I couldn't decide what to pair them with. Jim

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can pair up the nestmate and see how you like the young, once you get another black widow strain then mate the young to it. I've seen people paired these strain to the aviator and or Phantom, I just haven't heard or seen anyone mentioning the pairing. So is all up to you what to mate your birds, remember sometimes we get lucky on the pairing, so you never know.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are inbred Black Widow already. Aviator seems to be the mating for Mike Ganus. I have Aviator Golden Mattens grchildren, maybe I'll go that route. I just talked to the new owner of Black Widow on the phone. Jim

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree on cross breeding I tried inbreeding once and didn't like the outcome. So if GFL cross the Aviator and Golden Mattens to black widow then you should try the same. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They are inbred Black Widow already. Aviator seems to be the mating for Mike Ganus. I have Aviator Golden Mattens grchildren, maybe I'll go that route. I just talked to the new owner of Black Widow on the phone. Jim
BNB lofts posted two direct kids off Aviator last week at $1,700 apiece. Would that have been a good buy?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to me, I would rather have a Money direct. When you get another one let me know, I have 1719 on eggs with an Aviator hen. The guy that owns Black Widow has two sons for $1,500 each. Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have heard it said that Aviator/Black Widow was a foundation mating for GFL in 6 countries ... why was Black Widow sold so cheaply and separated from Aviator? Am I mis-informed?

·
Registered
160 Posts
BNB lofts posted two direct kids off Aviator last week at $1,700 apiece. Would that have been a good buy?
Definitely a good price !!

Why are there so many Aviator and Creator birds being re-sold so cheap?
GFL was snapping up some older blood sometime ago on ipigeon... at these prices - they should be buying them back?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy that owns Black Widow said that they did very well in the Southern US when Aviator was her mate. I don't know other than the fad changed, like Hekkenklak, Dream Boy, ect. Now I see Sure Bet birds selling cheap as well. I know it is tough for many to stick by any bird that is not directly producing winners right away. Jim

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
To me, I could care less about what "strain" a family of birds is. As long as they perform well, I'd purchase those birds instead of some fancy name.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If I had to choose between a good performing bird versus a popular strain with a ? on performance, I would go with the performing bird first. Result are what counts for me. If I can get a hold of a bird that is both then all the better!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
very nice looking hen...as in horses racing alot of people go for the sire in a breeding and look for the best bloodlines, but even then the great bloodline may not pan out, i have seen colts and fillies sell for $1500 and win stakes races between $100,000 - $300,000...i believe it all depends on the training, feed and a little love...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Jim,

I'd love to know how these do for you. I just picked up a Black Widow/Aviator inbred hen that I want to try out next year. Too late for this year but she was a good price. Right now, I'm planning on mating her to a Blue Miracle (Wally's Girl) cock that was a very good racer. I've heard great things from some guys in Ohio flying Black Widow offspring. They are crossing them with 969 and Hollywood I think. So since we are similar terrain here in ky I thought I'd give it a go.

And btw, Black Widow has been sold (again) this time to Weyer Family Loft. Don't know how much her direct children will be now or who he will be pairing her with. Would be curious to know.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As for your widows, I think rocket and widow would be my preference. Rocket and phantom is what I'd like to get. Hollywood would be good on your Money stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts