Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I've been noticing that one of my diamond doves has been spending more and more time at the bottom of my aviary with my quail. Since they're buddies, I didn't give it too much thought, but upon closely observing her today, I discovered what her eyes seem to be sealed shut!

She's still happily moving around and eating/drinking, so she doesn't seem sick. She's just unable to open her eyes -- looks like there's a film or her third eyelid is stuck shut. I've attached a high res picture so you can see.

Her other side is the same, but it's possible there MIGHT be a slight crust on it? If so, it's not pronounced enough to be able to tell.

For background, she's in a free-standing aviary with seven society finches, one other diamond dove, and one button quail. I use unscented cob bedding at the bottom (purelite, I believe, but the one that doesn't have the odor control stuff in it). Two days ago, I installed 15w Featherlight full spectrum fixtures on this aviary and my ringneck dove one. It's hanging about 6 inches from the very top of the cage (which has rings for lights) and is on an auto timer. Doesn't seem like it could be that because she's been on the bottom for longer.

I feel terrible for not paying more attention! I just figured she was hanging with her quail pal and since she wasn't acting strangely, I didn't think to scoop her up.

Any suggestions? Can I use some kind of eye drop to see if I can soften things up for her? I am also going to call my vet, but if there's something I can do here first, that would be great.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It would be best if you can take to the vet for proper diagnosis, however, if it is infected you can put a drop of nano silver liquid (not the topical gel) in the eye. It is an excellent remedy for many things but it is not a guarantee that it will work, depends on exactly what the problem is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts