Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I remember hearing about that. I forget where I saw/read it :confused: It's been a while.
But yeah, they put contacts on the birds eyes to blind them, and many of the birds landed within feet of the loft, some on the roof, some on the landing board, others on the ground around it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, that helped me find it...
another part of the article did studies on individuality, one part made me smile, the pigeon that would find a person to get home...lol.. here is the article.
Individuality
Taking individual pigeons that had repeatedly flown over the same course to a more distant, unfamiliar release site revealed a number of different strategies. One bird flew for a few miles in the compass direction that would have led it home from the familiar release site. It then stopped, perched for about 20 minutes, and when it resumed flight, headed directly for home. Another pigeon that had been trained from Orange, Masachusetts and regularly passed a prominent hill (Mt. Wachusett) on its way home was released at Worcester airport. Instead of flying East toward home, it headed North flying toward Mt. Wachusett even though that was not the way home. Having flown around the mountain, it turned and headed for home (Fig. 2). Released in other locations, this pigeon always headed for the nearest mountain before flying home.* Yet another pigeon always oriented very accurately toward the loft, but as it got within about 10 km it would stop, find a person out gardening and we would get a telephone call to come and collect it!* Another pigeon released for the first time at Worcester airport started out headed Southwest and made a huge circular diversion to the South. I offer these stories only as evidence that different individual pigeons raised and trained under identical conditions may well prefer to use or weight their orientation cues differently. When working with large groups of pigeons, these individual idiosyncrasies become submerged in the group data. It is only by studying individuals that they become apparent.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
does anyone know or know where to find anything about this study mentioned by a member here in this link http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=428824&postcount=8link
THIS was done I believe in 1979. And the fogged contacts was used And birds made it home land at or near there loft. I remember this and The talk was about not have to relie on sight ti get home. At and near that time They went to using race birds in hospitals in England to send blood sample and such to labs Because the birds was much more faster getting them there then people in cars. And then Us coast guard trainewd and used the birds to spot ship weck survivors By pecking when they saw the orange rafts or life preservers. And the study of the brain and homing instinct Was being done with statments that a guided missle with the guidence of a homing pigeon would be very very accurate. All this in lat 1970s. Then early 1980s US forest service was using homing pigeons to send messages in remote areas Because no to little raidio communication would get through. Many studies have been on on the old racing /homers

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, I did find the article, it is very interesting, re lee, thanks for that additional info...it is good to see you hear again! you have been very helpful to me in the past.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts