Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hand-feeding a squeaker and today when I fed him it seems the food cannot go into his crop. It seems to have filled-up his throat and his neck appears bloated. He was fine yesterday. Does anyone know of something that would cause his crop to close-off?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I've noticed this happen with some of my birds when they eat. Normally when they're really hungry and eat more than they can handle at a time. With a drink of water, everything goes down though. That might not be the case with yours though :confused:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
While I hope that MofE is right, I would be checking very carefully for signs of canker. How old is the youngster, and are you feeding it liquid formula or something else? Any chance of posting a picture of the young bird?

AND, I have to ask .. are you really sure it's not the actual crop you are seeing fill up? Since this is your first post here on Pigeon-Talk, we don't know if you have a lot or a little experience with pigeons.

Terry

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Picture? Sometimes they rupture an air sac and it can make their entire neck inflate like a balloon, too.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds close to the ruptured airsac idea. Please tell me a little more about that. What is an air sac and how would that rupture. Because I did think it had a lot of excess air in its crop for a few days before this.
I am a novice at pigeons, but not completely in the dark either. It's not the first baby I've nursed. I only nurse the ones that are not growing as fast as nest mates, so I know they come with some sort of baggage. But they end up being so friendly it's worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It sounds close to the ruptured airsac idea. Please tell me a little more about that. What is an air sac and how would that rupture. Because I did think it had a lot of excess air in its crop for a few days before this.

I am a novice at pigeons, but not completely in the dark either. It's not the first baby I've nursed.

* I only nurse the ones that are not growing as fast as nest mates, so I know they come with some sort of baggage. But they end up being so friendly it's worth the extra effort.
Welcome to Pigeon Talk. :)

* Is this one of your squeakers, or an orphaned feral?

If you could give us your general location, it's possible there is a member, rehabber or vet nearby that can assist you.

Cindy

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
They can get a buildup of air in the crop (aerophagia) from trying to swallow faster than food is being delivered. That usually looks like a balloon in the front and lower sides just forward of the shoulders. An air sac rupture usually comes from trauma and, in that area, can look a lot the same. Sometimes the inflated portion can extend all the way up to the head and even on the backside of the neck.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This baby is one of our own, not feral. His throat is not bloating now (it has been two days since I posted last). However, I do see some kind of white curd-like substance at the top of his crop. I can see it through the thin skin in the shoulder area. I'm hoping this goes away too. Does anyone think it could be an infection?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts