Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The young from my blue bar hen and blue check cock will be hatching in about two weeks. What kind of young can I expect, blue bar, blue check, or both blue bar and blue check? This will be my first experience with pigeon babies.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The only thing which I know is that pigeons carry two genes for pattern and the checker pattern is dominant to the bar pattern. So I think if the 2 genes in the cock are both checker and the two genes in the hen are both bar, then you are supposed to get checkers :confused: Lets wait for a more experienced member to comment ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You'll either get all checks or both. If the cockbird is split for bar (one of his parents was a barred bird), then you can get both.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking over the pedigree of the cockbird I'm doubtful of its' accuracy and authenticity. It's hand written and not very legible. The only check pigeon I see in his background is a great grandfather, the rest of his ancestors were all blue bars.

But this is about what I was expecting from this pair. What would be exciting would be a new sport to hatch from these eggs, e.g., a solid red, green, or mosaic half-sider. Of course I know that this rarely happens. Of the millions of pigeons that hatch every year you would think that something really different would appear. My guess is that some unusual colors may have appeared either in feral, or domestic pigeons and just was never known about or reported. By red pigeon I mean the same red color we see in parrots. When I stopped raising English Budgerigars in 1986 there had never been a reported case of red budgerigar being hatched. The red color does appear in other varieties of parakeets.

Thanks for the info I will still be looking forward to hatch day.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well, then the previous owner must have had all their breeding pairs together and not separated, and had some affairs going on in the loft :p Two blue bars can't produce a check, because check is dominant.
I think red and green pigeons would be awesome! :eek: The closest we have is recessive red.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well right now I have 2 checks And I got checks.
Red check and blue bars got blue checks.
Another redcheck and blue bars got blue checks.
Bb and red bar got one of each.
So these thing with genes is unpredictable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts