Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a pair of blue birds, 2 babies... Unfortunately I think the nest was in an awful spot, it started to pour and I went to check to see if they were dry (they are in a man-made kind of bush, they had been working on the nest for about 2 months and finally the babies came in the last 12 days), the parents are not around (night time) and the babies were SOAKED and cold so I took them inside, they are fine now, dry and warm but I have no idea what they eat and if I should put them back when it isnt raining? Or, is this a normal thing for the parents to be gone at night or to be in the rain? The babies are probably 10 days old. My guess is that with the rain, Mamma got wet and took off to dry grounds? Maybe tomorrow I can put a tarp over the whole thing, but I dont know if that will bother the parents if they even come back...

Any suggestions as to what to feed them and if the parents might return when the sun comes out??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If I were you, I'd give them worms when you see their mouths open. Now that you've touched them, their parents most likely won't except them back. Here's a word of advice I hope no one finds this to be odd or anything, but if you have them in a box put it in your bedroom at night so that way they are close if they need anything or start chirping for any reason. This is all I can offer for advice right now I'm sure anyone else here can give you more info.

But let's hope these 2 bluebirds survive.

"Well tonight I'm gonna my hair down... and get on with these down home blues"

Just some lyrics to a blues song I heard in a movie. I thought you might like it as a joke:p

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Bluebirds, or bluejays, as they are also called are seed,beery eaters as well insects. It would be in the best interest if the parents were present to feed it and instruct the babies on how to hunt and search.

I would not feed it any live worms, as they can contain parasites. Adults birds that incorporate insects and worms in their diet "know" which ones are edible.

Do not force it to take water as it could aspirate the little one. Soft kibble or cat food, such as "Chicken Soup for the Catlovers Soul"~ preferably the light formula is fortified with the nutriants needed in many small bird rehabs. Soak it it water til it is nice and soft. It gets not only its food, but water source this way.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
First off, without meaning to be rude, DO NOT follow any advice by Birddogg because all of it is totally wrong. You can, if you have them, feed birds purchased MEAL WORMS, as long as the head is cut off but for a new baby bird I would be cautious. Worms from the garden are not good for them. The parents know what type of insects are best.

You did the right thing by bringing them in overnight because being cold and wet can be very bad on them. As far as I know, once the babies have some feathers the parents do not sit on them but will be very close by.

Are you sure these are true bluebirds. Most bluebirds will build in a bluebird house or any hole they can find as opposed to a tree nest. We have had them build nests in a split rail fence.

Today I would put the babies back in the nest and let the parents continue to raise them. You may like to read our adventures with bluebirds. http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=75613&postcount=1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good News!!!

Thank you everyone for all the help :) I put them back this morning and watched and when I put them in they started to 'chirp' (more of a caw, that blue bird sound..) and the parents came right over and almost flew into my head... I've been checking on them and they are doing fine and the parents are still hanging around :) So, I will put a tarp up this afternoon so if it rains again they can stay dry!!

THANKS!

Edited in: And, the parents are blue and grey, they could be scrub jays? They built it in this bush kind of thing, the vines that grow on the wood cross cut boards people put up? I guess a kind of hedge only with vines... The nest is kind of in a hole but the 'roof' is just the bushy stuff which got rain all through it! And I think you're right, the parents have been in a tree watching them all morning (they must have had to seek better shelter last night!) so I am glad I know that just because they are not sitting on them, they are okay!

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Hi, we don't have the scrub jays in NC - think they range further south like in Florida but our regular blue jays (and I think the scrub jays) are blue and gray. I think the scrub is a little smaller in size. I would be careful though to not disturb the nest too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.