Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently finished building my first kit box. I haven't yet decided whether to go with a bob trap or Sputnik style trap. We have Birmingham Rollers, which have yet to be trap trained. I've heard that some people have had difficulty getting birds to trap using bobs. On the other hand, an awful lot of you are using bob traps! I've left my kit box at the point where I can install either type of trap. I plan on starting training my birds within the next few weeks.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have homers, not rollers so I'm not sure if there is a difference.

My birds have no trouble using the bobs. At first they were a little hesitatant, but if they are hungry enough they will go through anything! ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Mine also have no problems. The bobs they make now are much lighter and easier to push, so it'll be just as easy for your rollers. I could understand rollers being a little hesitant with the older, heavier ones. But I had those too, and rollers, and didn't have problems either.

I don't really see the need for a sputnik unless you have racing homers. The point of the sputnik and drop traps is to make trapping as quick as possible.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I just changed to a drop type trap from barbs and i love it they go right in and were never trained on it some were 3 years old and still hesitated for as long as an hour on the barbs. They would keep bumping them or going half way in then back out. I don't fly my birds hungry I just fly for fun.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just changed to a drop type trap from barbs and i love it they go right in and were never trained on it some were 3 years old and still hesitated for as long as an hour on the barbs. They would keep bumping them or going half way in then back out. I don't fly my birds hungry I just fly for fun.
I also watched at our breeder's loft as certain birds went in and out of the bobs as if they weren't there. He told us that some of the birds "figured out" the bob trap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am looking to make a drop trap to add on to my aviary for late birds.
Can someone tell me what the spacing is between wood dowels for race homers?

I just check one of my larger race homers and thought that five inches would work, but it sure seemed to be really wide.
I am thinking for it to be about one foot high
I have been looking at many pic’s but have not seen any measurements

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
The bob's on a bob trap are 1 & 1/2 inch apart.
so think about it-What do you want to keep in & what do you want to keep out-most flyers have 1/2 by 1 wire on and around their lofts. Some may have 1 x 1.
5 inches--a Hawk-cat-all type of animals can get in though .
Maybe measure your wife's dog? If its a small dog.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am looking to make a drop trap to add on to my aviary for late birds.
Can someone tell me what the spacing is between wood dowels for race homers?

I just check one of my larger race homers and thought that five inches would work, but it sure seemed to be really wide.
I am thinking for it to be about one foot high
I have been looking at many pic’s but have not seen any measurements

Any thoughts?
I read somewhere on this forum that someone was recommending 4 inch width for homers. Maybe it was Shadybug Lofts???

One of the commercial "Sputnik Traps" I saw on the internet has a 14 inch trap height with four inch trap width.

Hee hee...look up there ^ I'm pretty smart :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For rollers--which ever one is easier for you--just cover them at night to keep unwanted "VISTORS" out.
I think I would make the trap to go over the top of the "landing deck" of my kit box. I would remove the dowel top that I made for it, and replace it with the trap when I'm flying the pigeons. Once they're all inside, I would put the regular top back on, eliminating the possibility of the neighbor's cat having an easy meal. I already thought of a peg setup to hold the two tops in place.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The bob's on a bob trap are 1 & 1/2 inch apart.
so think about it-What do you want to keep in & what do you want to keep out-most flyers have 1/2 by 1 wire on and around their lofts. Some may have 1 x 1.
5 inches--a Hawk-cat-all type of animals can get in though .
Maybe measure your wife's dog? If its a small dog.
I am beginning to like you more and more LOL - My wife's dog is a weenier dog

My birds stick his / her head between two bob's and push through - that would be three inch or so. The four inch seems about rite.

Is that the norm for Sputnik Trap?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts