Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sharing this with a very heavy heart. I found a baby pigeon about 2 weeks old last week, it had fallen from nest. Got it home, fed, cared for it and made him warm. Even named him bobby. He always started following me, wanted to kiss me a lot and started loving me fast. I fed him moist foods: well cooked mashed potatoes, lentils and Bulghur wheat.

I have had pet parrots for long and they enjoy the same.

Yesterday, I played around a bit more with Bobby and gently even threw him over a very short distance on my bed twice to give him a feel of flying.

Early evening yesterday, he got very quiet and wanted to rest. He avoided a plastic crate that I had for him and always wanted to interact closely with me. However, yesterday evening surprisingly, when placed in crate, he went to a corner, closed eyes and bent down. I let him rest well and checked at night, his body became very limp, his head turned backwards on its own when I tried to lift him, his beak felt cold, he was gasping for breath with his beak. I kept him warm and then went to check on him after an hour or so. He had passed away. I felt very sad and guilty before. But now I feel I did my best, gave him my love, time and attention. This is all I could do. Perhaps he had some other sickness that was hidden.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Am very sorry for the loss of Bobby. Sounds like you loved him and took very good care of him. Hope another pigeon comes your way as you love birds. Please see if there is another bird even an older one ho might need rescue. Sometimes pigeons end up at animal shelters, or on Craigslist, or you might be able to get a bird from a local breeder or racing enthusiast. Once you have been kissed by a pigeon, it is hard to not have pigeons in your life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am very sorry for the loss of Bobby. Sounds like you loved him and took very good care of him. Hope another pigeon comes your way as you love birds. Please see if there is another bird even an older one ho might need rescue. Sometimes pigeons end up at animal shelters, or on Craigslist, or you might be able to get a bird from a local breeder or racing enthusiast. Once you have been kissed by a pigeon, it is hard to not have pigeons in your life.
Thank you for your response, I am in deep mourning. I have had pet parrots since 2001, have 3 small parrots now. They are deeply mourning at the loss of this pigeon. They all got to love him dearly in this short period of time. On Friday, he kissed me 50 times. I read about soft release and then decided not to release him unless he really wanted to leave.

Perhaps I must have given Bobby more water and reduced his physical activity. But he was so happy and full of joy, seemed mean to restrict him.

I will use this experience to learn more about pigeons, lots of feral colonies here, will get chance again to assist another one with time I feel.

Sharing link to a Free old ebook in Bobby's memory:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44729/44729-h/44729-h.htm

I was a member here for a long time, but never expected to come across such a situation but with time it did come.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
May have been sick, and you didn't catch it, or maybe when feeding, you by mistake aspirated him. Hard to say what happened, but usually there are some symptoms when a bird is sick. Sorry you lost him.

Reactions: Vamp

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May have been sick, and you didn't catch it, or maybe when feeding, you by mistake aspirated him. Hard to say what happened, but usually there are some symptoms when a bird is sick. Sorry you lost him.
Thanks for your kind response. No sickness signs. He was quite active, so not aspirated also. I feel I didn't give him enough water, this might have dehydrated him, this combined with the high level of activity. I am still feeling quite sad and low.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's why it's better to give baby bird formula. It would give him enough water. Also, if you want to hand feed a pigeon, the easiest way is to give frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed to warm, not hot. These always add some moisture at least. Then in the meantime, teach him to drink on his own by dipping his beak into a small crock of water, just up to the nostrils. He will eventually learn that way. So in the future if you need to you will know that.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why it's better to give baby bird formula. It would give him enough water. Also, if you want to hand feed a pigeon, the easiest way is to give frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed to warm, not hot. These always add some moisture at least. Then in the meantime, teach him to drink on his own by dipping his beak into a small crock of water, just up to the nostrils. He will eventually learn that way. So in the future if you need to you will know that.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.
Thank you very much. I have other parrots also that are a lot older, they are also deeply affected by this loss and are in mourning. Your helpful tips mean a lot to me. Deep inside me, I know I am still crying over this loss myself. Hope to find meaning from this experience, heal and help other birds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read this:
http://pets.thenest.com/signs-symptoms-acute-dehydration-birds-9918.html

Another contact told me that mama bird kicks out of nest the sick and weak birds. Bobby had a very faint squeal, initially had issues with keeping one eye open, had a very soft beak and seemed slow in general. So perhaps, his weakness played a role along with being dehydrated. In this case, a combination of factors lead to his demise. Must learn from this experience.

·
Registered
Well her name is J. Sebastian Bach and she's a white winged dove.
5 Posts
Thanks for your kind response. No sickness signs. He was quite active, so not aspirated also. I feel I didn't give him enough water, this might have dehydrated him, this combined with the high level of activity. I am still feeling quite sad and low.
I like to think you gave him enough and then some extra care. He didn't have a long life, but he had a good life. I had a pet chick, and found out later had a incurable disease, was not vaccinated or missed it somehow. So she/he had eight weeks with me. You can read my story on backyardchickens.org her name was Phineas Huckabee. I hope your grief isn't too long, and you remember bobby with many happy thoughts and memories. You can only try to save your feather friends! RIP

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm soooo sorry for your loss breaks my heart to hear that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts