Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my companion bird, a rescued Eurasian collared dove, to a herpesvirus infection. I miss her tremendously as we shared a close bond and as I will not be able to acquire another of the species (unless someone places another nestling on my doorstep!), I'd like to try finding a barbary/ringneck dove to form a similar bond with. However, I'm relatively new to keeping pigeons and I don't know how young I would need to begin taming one for them to 'imprint' on me or if they can be tamed to this extent as (unpaired) adults. I'm also not sure to what extent their sex makes a difference regarding taming and forming a pair bond and would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Sorry you lost your dove. They will only imprint on you if raised from a very young age, any pigeon/dove older than 2 weeks will not really imprint on you. Do they nest in your garden? Then I suggest you keep an eye out for the odd one that might fall from the nest and that you can raise again.

Unfortunately with handraised pigeons they do become aggressive when they start reaching maturity. The males more than the females, it's just one of those things one has to accept and live with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:)You can always see if there are any bird clubs in your area. They can sell to you if you poke around via calling or checking out their website. Sometimes humane societies will also have unwanted birds.
To bond with birds easily, find out what their favorite food is for a start. Find a place where they can fly around for exercise in a safe area. Indoors only. When you want to put them back in their home, just lower the lights, and use something like a long pole for them to sit on and to be shepherded in. I've been using a butterfly net. Plain colour. I just have them step on the rim. I do not use the net. After awhile they will get use to you and routine especially when you have something tasty to eat and share with them. Before you know it they will actually wanna nest in your hands. But you have to be patient and read their body language. BTW I never clipped their wings during their whole life I had my little friends. I've had them since I was a little girl. About 1984.
During the summer I keep them in an outdoor cage. When its winter they stay in the garage and their indoor cage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts