Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm rather new to pigeons, but earlier this year I found a very young feral that did not seem to mind being picked up or petted, so I brought it home and began keeping it as a pet. Before long, the bird seemed to imprint on me. She would fly to my shoulder or head regularly. I was able to take her outside, and we would go on walks around the block together. Sometimes she flew away, but she always came back after an hour or so and would flap against the door to be let inside. There were even several times when I brought her away from home as I went to visit with friends. During these times she would always stay either on my or my friends' shoulder or somewhere within our sight. This lasted until about a month ago. Not being very smart, I brought her too far away from home and she was chased away by a hawk. After waiting several days for her to return, I realized she was more than likely dead.

So I found a bird breeder nearby and bought a pair of young homing pigeons and have been taking care of them for the past few weeks. I guess I was hoping that these birds would be able to replace that amazing feral, but so far they have not. They are beautiful birds, but they don't seem to want anything to do with me. I have been trying to spend a little time with them individually each day, taking them out of their cage and letting them fly loose inside my house. Neither of them has shown ANY interest in using me as a perch. Sometimes I can pick them up and set them on my shoulder, and they might stay there for a minute or so, but after that it's right back to the curtain rod. They will not fly to me, nor will they eat out of my hand. They just seem to put up with me at best.

Anyway, I've been wondering if I'm expecting something that they're just not going to be able to offer. Is it even possible to form a strong bond with two birds at the same time? Or will they just imprint on one another leaving me out of the loop? If possible, I would love to have a second chance at creating the kind of bond I had with my first bird. But this time I would be more responsible, of course. I have already purchased one of those flight harness thingys and have begun constructing a loft for them in my back yard.

Any advice would be fantastic. Thanks for hearing me out.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
how old are they? they may have never been handled that much before you. you just need to be patient with them. try feeding them from your hand and sit with them as much as possible every day. our birds are out in a loft but with time they eventually eat out of our hands and perch on our legs, arms and now shoulders. they even know how to untie our shoe strings :) we got our birds in july of this year. some 2011 hatches and some older birds and all climb all over us in some sort of way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how old they are honestly. When I found my feral, she had the yellowish down feathers on her head which my vet said that meant she was under a month old. No down feathers on the new birds. All I know is that I specifically asked the breeder for young birds because I did not want them to fly back to the him on the first time they were released. He had hundreds of pigeons and no way to keep track of how old each of them were. He just promised me that they were young. Young enough as to be unsexable and young enough that they would eventually learn to recognize my house as their "home."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts