Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport so please bare with my green horn questions and you will learn I overanalyze everything, I apologize for this character flaw, lol. Do you feel like your best racers have a personal relationship with you that drives them home faster than your other racers? I am trying to understand the relationship between the handler and the racer if there is such a thing in this sport. Just from my personal experience with other performance bred animals, I have owned was a split 50/50 handler/animal relationship in winning. Better the relationship the more I won, less of a relationship the less I won. I know many of you have so many that it is hard to have a great relationship, because of the size of my resources and living arrangements, I will probably only have 20 birds for a few years or so I think but it will probably turn into a lifestyle for me instead of a hobby. I have a good mentor who is helping me along, but I want to hear others thoughts on this. If this sounds crazy pardon my greenhorn ideas:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I cannot say I have a personal relationship with the bird's, in as much as a bird has bonded with me. I do however spend a lot of time just sitting in the loft with a handful of feed and observing.
I think spending the time with them is not only good for the bird's, but very therauputic for me.I've been in lofts where the bird's just thrash around...not good.Harmony should reign in the loft.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I cannot say I have a personal relationship with the bird's, in as much as a bird has bonded with me. I do however spend a lot of time just sitting in the loft with a handful of feed and observing.
I think spending the time with them is not only good for the bird's, but very therauputic for me.I've been in lofts where the bird's just thrash around...not good.Harmony should reign in the loft.
Well said my friend! I agree 100%!;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
My birds have no fear of me. I can walk in my loft and pet almost all of them. I even need to pick some of them up to scrape there perch. They see and hear the scraper when in the nest bowl. I have 1 YB this year that flys to my sholder and walks on my back when I start scraping. s/he knows food is not far away. :eek: Does this make them better racers? I don't know but it sure makes scraping more enjoyable. You will notice when the same tame birds are outside there loft, they are the boss. BUT call them in for dinner and they know who there real boss is.:)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The driving force for the homers is usually the good life they have enjoyed in the loft, including their mate and ofcourse the eggs on incubation :)

I dont as such think that its the bond with the human which is the driving force.

In the process of providing a good life to the pigeons (food, water, place, mate and day by day interaction) both pigeons and humans will bond with each other naturally :) and since pigeon homes for its good life it has enjoyed, good homers can also be pretty much bonded pigeons due to the process ..... just my thoughts nothing hard rule ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the comments. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the relationship between handler and pigeons. I am very particular on how I care for my animals and my training as well so I think I would be good there. Another bit of food for thought, do you think your schedule time for races and training go hand in hand. From what I am told most races start just after sun rise and if this is so do you think training time should be scheduled no different than race times to help the internal clock of the birds, if they have one. I know from my own experience, I work out at schedule times and my body recovers and performs better when I am on a set schedule versus being varied in training times.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...I am trying to get my head wrapped around the relationship between handler and pigeons....
A good handler is like a concierge - :D You want to meet their needs and help them to feel safe and secure in their home. You birds are very fortunate to have such a caring and thoughtful owner.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My birds used to be real tame when I was younger not as much now. But idk if there's really a difference. When I topped the combine for the first time when I was 18 with 2 pigeons. Those birds were real tame I'd put a piece of corn on my tongue and they'd come and eat it and would hang all over me. But I also notice the wild birds seam to pretty good as well. Like a higher precentage of the wild ones seam to be better racers. With the old clocks the wild ones sucked because they seam to not wanna go in when they get home especially after you clocked them once and pulled off the counter marker after that they were like I'm not going in anymore. But with the electronic clocks you don't have to grab them so you learn to stay away from the wild ones and they'll go in on their own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts