Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dove broke its wing and leg last year, she was rehabilitated at the vet, and survived. She doesn't fly but walks slowly and sometimes flaps her wings to go where she wants to go.

Some days ago i noticed something on her back and above the leg she broke, its like a malformation, or maybe a lump or some kind. I don't know if it's a tumor a bony callus. I didn't notice it before and it's been a year.

Her stool is ok, white with brown, she is eating and drinking by herself. She has tail bobbing and is less active.

It's a coincidence that a tumor (if it's a tumor) formed on the side that broke her wing and leg.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi everyone

update: it's not a tumor fortunately, it's a bony callus from when she broke her leg and wing. She is making a respiratory infection but i'm giving her Baytril 0,03ml x1 and Meloxivet (Meloxicam) 0.03 ml x1 time per day anti-inflammatory for 8 days. This according to doctor was caused by moulting + egg laying some weeks ago.

She seems very tired and closing her eyes. Her droppings look fine and she is eating and drinking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update:

Hi Marina

My dove a day after recovering from her respiratory infection laid two eggs, a day interval between them. On Sunday she couldn't put her bad leg on the floor and i had to give her calcium and anti-inflammatory.

According to the vet the eggs passing affected the nerve on the leg. She can put her leg on the floor now but she's still with the tail bobbing. Maybe she got better and is now either with a) pain on the leg b) respiratory infection again.

What other antibiotics can replace Baytril?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Can't you rather take her back to the vet? Did you give her probiotics after the baytril treatment to restore the good gut bacteria?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi,

once my pigeon Apple suffered from a temporary paralisys.
That condition is caused by the egg pressing on the sciatic nerve (it could happen during or after the laying of an egg) so your vet could be right. Because of the compression of the nerve the pigeon could be unable to walk, fly, stand on both legs, etc.
Apple could not walk or do her "small flights" (she is too a disabled pigeon, a broken wing pigeon), she pulled herself along with her wings.

Here is a link:

http://www.pigeonrescue.sirtobyservices.com/commonailments-2/eggrelatedproblems/

Apple recovered in a few days, I gave her extra calcium, vitamins, I had to hand feed her and to offer her water in her nest.

An alternative to Baytril could be doxycycline.

Here is a link about antibiotics :

http://www.homingpigeon.com/article/Dosage.html

As suggested by Marina, I would talk again to the vet. Giving antibiotics without a reason is more harmful than useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts