Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came back to PA with Booboo from NY with confirmation of her having both p.m.v. and canker. The canker blocked her throat, now she is better but still cannot eat but when I hand feed her grain by grain (moderate size of) sunflower seeds and piece by piece peas. The complication of the p.m.v. is however the most terrible, her head hanging like a wet piece of rag with no strength of whatsoever verticality even when it is to be fed. She just jerks this piece of wet rag all over around her neck. And she is so terrified of not seeing what is going on, the poor little blind thing...

When in NY I tried to get here via an android tablet (I do not have a computer in NY) but Pigeons Talk did not allow me enter (why?) so I could not ask you what I humbly, and desperately, ask you now:
How can she deal with p.m.v. when she additionally has at the same time a still unresolved (after 2 weeks of metro treatment) canker? Can she continue with metro beyond 14 days of treatment? I was told that, due the mild form of dissolved in water, probably yes. But until she can eat properly she is not going to beat her p.m.v. which she cannot do with her ... canker. Meantime her strength deteriorate as she is not strong enough even to hold her head more solidly.

I however have to admit that she had also two good news on her chart: she never had soft stools after the baytril 3 days treatment of 2 weeks ago. And, finally, after 2 years of being bullied by (poor lonely) Bebe, she could sleep all night long during the last 2 weeks.
Thank you very much for any idea somebody could give me about how to deal with this pmv complication of her canker and if (soluble) metro can be continued beyond 14 days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You aren't going to get rid of the canker by putting the med in her drinking water. I did tell you that. If you have been doing that then you are just giving the trich a chance to become stronger and resistant to the drug. Then it is harder to cure it. She needs 50 mg down the throat once daily for 7 to 10 days.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
You can crush the tablet and put it in liquid. People here can advise on how to do that I think. When our pigeons are sick the vet does that, and we just give the meds with a dropper. That way you give the bird the exact dose with a syringe. Hope BooBoo is better soon.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What are you feeding her?
You can get Fishzole, which is Metronidazole, in 250 mg tablets. You can quarter one, then put that small piece in her beak and push to the back of her throat and over the tongue, just like you would do with a defrosted pea. She will swallow it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you were feeding by syringe, you could even grind it up in the food. Would just have to make sure she got it all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the PMV now? And for how long?

Visible canker is gone from her throat, thanks God. But the PMV keeps her weak, and, from her frustrated noisy vocalizing when she cannot succeed to keep her head straight --always when she eats (so that I have to support it and she, frustratingly, cannot choose whatsoever, and how much, she wants to eat)-- her impotence definitely drives her nuts. Amazingly, she wants 3-4 grains of grit with her food, seemingly she feels that it helps with her throat cleaning too. Thank you so much. Meantime what could we do with her PMV? Probably nothing. And for how long?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
She still needs the canker med. No reason you can't put it down her throat. If you don't give it to her the canker will come back stronger. And You should be hand feeding her to make sure she eats enough. Feed her baby bird formula, or defrosted peas which are pretty easy to digest. If you don't feed her she is not going to get better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.