Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that Borax can be mixed with water to remove lice off of pigeons.

How much Borax dosage do you put per gallon of water?

And how long do you submerge the pigeon in the Borax treated water?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I use boric acid rather than borax, at 1 teaspoon per quart/liter. Borax is slightly different and appears to be somewhat less effective at controlling mites than is boric acid. But lots of older posts here do show that other folks use Borax successfully at about 1 tablespoon (2.5 teaspoons) per gallon. Some other members sprinkle the powder on the birds instead of bathing them. Link to older topic: Borax for parasites , does it work?

Do NOT submerge pigeons in water. Don't pour water over their heads and especially not over the eyes and beak.

Treating just the bird's body is definitely sufficient to get rid of mites.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use boric acid rather than borax, at 1 teaspoon per quart/liter. Borax is slightly different and appears to be somewhat less effective at controlling mites than is boric acid. But lots of older posts here do show that other folks use Borax successfully at about 1 tablespoon (2.5 teaspoons) per gallon. Some other members sprinkle the powder on the birds instead of bathing them. Link to older topic: Borax for parasites , does it work?

Do NOT submerge pigeons in water. Don't pour water over their heads and especially not over the eyes and beak.

Treating just the bird's body is definitely sufficient to get rid of mites.
I have seen some YouTube videos of people submerging the pigeons in borax water but below their head level. So is this technique no longer any good?

·
Registered
906 Posts
As long as their heads are above water, it is fine. I usually use a large mixing bowl, half-full of water with boric acid. Then set the bird in the bowl, then use one hand to prevent the bird from flying, and the other to pour handfuls of water over the bird's body until thoroughly wet and clean.

·
Registered
906 Posts
seven dust is the best
Which version? The old one with carbaryl which is no longer in use in most Sevin products since 2018, or the new one that uses a pyrethroid (synthetic pyrethrin) instead?

"Recently, the active ingredient in some Sevin products was changed from carbaryl (a carbamate) to zeta-cypermethrin (a pyrethroid)."

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My wash tub holds about 3 gallons and I'll put 2 cups of 20 mule teem borax in it first thing in the morning and let them bath, bugs breath through the body so the borax will kill the bugs then after a couple hours give them fresh water, I've been doing this for 30 years and it hasen't harmed a bird yet/

·
Registered
906 Posts
Usually birds bathe themselves in a shallow pan and leave the water when they are done. If the bird is injured or ill and can't bathe itself, just clean any droppings from the feathers and be sure that the body (not the head) of the bird has been thoroughly wet with the borax water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts