Pigeon-Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get Xena to the shelter. I didn't realize from your previous posts that she actually had a compound fracture to her wing. :eek: It's good Peggy is doing well and her parents are still feeding her. It sounds as though she is maturing just fine with you supervising to make sure the magpies don't harm her. It's kind of the best of both worlds, safety from you and food from her parents.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
In view of the fracture I am very glad that you contacted the sanctuary. Have you asked them what will become of her if she is unreleasable? I know that they keep unreleasable pigeons, but I don't know what provision the have for doves.

Cynthia

·
Registered
316 Posts
If she is releasable, maybe they will give her back to you to release in your backyard.

If not...maybe you could have a pet? :eek:

Keep calm now, bernadette ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Greeting everyone! Just looked in on Peggy she was curled up on the teddy bear, think she misses her sis :( I would never have thought that the wing was that badly damaged, she seemed ok, lively and moving about. I miss her. I asked if they were going to put her down, cause if they were I wasn’t going to leave her, but the gentlemen there said that if the wing heals well she will be released if not then they will keep her there in an aviary. I hope he didn’t say that just to get rid of me. I asked if she couldn’t be released could I bring her back home but he said it’s illegal to keep wild birds without a license :( guess I can go visit her. Hope she’ll be ok, I miss her terribly. I know Peggy does too. I’ll phone tomorrow, in fact I’ll harass them every day till they get tired of me phoning and they’ll give her back :p just kidding. I will make sure she is taken care of though. Looking forward to seeing Peggy fly off soon, she seems in good shape. I try not to disturb her too much. I’ll keep posting on her progress.
Best wishes n happy Easter!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I hope he didn’t say that just to get rid of me.
I wouldn't think so. Lesley from Salford took one of her unreleasable pigeons there and she has visited it to ensure it was OK...it was. Her other pigeon was severely damaged by Paramyxovirus so they couldn't take him but he came to me. It would be nice if you met Lesley some day. She is the one that went and caught the Middleton pigeons that had their beaks cut off. She is really special.

Cynthia

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hello Cynthia!Hope your weekend is nice! Just brought Peggy back in she had her last feeding for today, 3 in all. Only the dad feeds her now, I think the mum is laying eggs again, she only comes once a day to eat and drink. I’m glad they wouldn’t put her down, that was my biggest fear. I will phone them on Monday and make sure she’s ok. I’ll try and visit the sanctuary again as soon as I can, I want to make a donation, didn’t have any cash on me when we took Xena in, I felt very bad. :eek: If she can’t be released I’ll pay for all her food n care as long as she stays there. It would be nice to meet another person who likes animals, I have very few friends here in England. Best wishes!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts