Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder how you house your breeders? Pics would be cool. Right now I have mine in rabbit cages and the like. I would like to build a breeding loft or? when I finish my YB loft. Looking for ideas. Only want to keep 6 or so pairs. Also how are you splitting them up after your done?
Thanks for any help.
Jack

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have four sections 2 8x8 and 2 5x8. When I separate them I make the 2 5x8 sections into one 5x16 for the hens. The cocks get one 8x8 section. I keep 20ish pairs. During breeding I have the four sections 1st 9 nest boxes, 2nd 16 nest boxes, 3rd 6 nest boxes, 4th 3 nest boxes.

You can look on my web page for pics. I will keep three pairs in each smaller compartment and 7 pairs in each of the larger one. Extra boxes are always good. I usually have a few temp boxes on the ground for those who only nest on the ground. Pine needles and disposable bowls.

For six pairs I would do a nice 6x8 loft with a middle divider, you can close in the off season for two 4x6 compartments. Give them a nice aviary and they would be happy.

Randy

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the problem with open nest boxes is bully birds can get at squabs easier and it makes it harder for the cock to defend his area, anyone can easily get in his nest box and therefore more nest box fighting. also if you needed to keep some bird/s locked up for a bit...you could'nt, using a small crock in the nest box with feed is great for the sitting parents as they do not have far to go to get off the nest, but with an open situation, others birds will come steal their feed.... so you have less control over things... I went the simple route at first, now I understand why nest box fronts are so important, there is alot of fustration and possible squabs being pecked when you do not have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts