Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I posted for the first time last week to tell you about the white homers that had a baby in my redundant cast iron gutter box on the front of my house. Their baby fledged a week ago today and has been living either in the tree opposite or sleeping on the roof of my house. I noticed yesterday that his parents are still feeding him which is a relief as I haven't seen him eating anything - his parents feed from my bird table.

Today I notice that his parents are back in the gutter box and the one I thought was Dad is cooing all the time. I'm attaching my pics of them again. The white and brown one (on the left) is the one that spends the most time with the baby during the week and is the one cooing - does this mean it's Mum? She/he is very tame and let me hand feed it this week. The other one is around a lot less although as I said, is now sitting in or on the gutter box. Is it usual to still be feeding an infant and be laying again? I'm overjoyed that they appear to be in the gutter box and cooing again and am curious as to whether this means we'll eventually end up with lots of pigeons or if it means the youngster/s will move on? Despite the fact I can't catch them (well I could the brown/white one I guess) I am getting a dovecote on Monday that they could use (I know I've been told it's unlikely they will) but if they don't it looks very attractive and I could always get some birds for it at a later date (I would move it into my large back garden in that case). I have bought safflower seeds which I'm going to put on the table of the dovecote to entice them.

Poo, it won't let me attach the photo again because I've posted it before, anyway the parents can be seen in my album.

Any comments or advice would be most welcome. I am so enjoying watching these gorgeous birds:D

Thanks.

Liz

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
well it sound to me that they are calling this home, and yes the cooing is that they are going to be nesting again soon, the male will coo to get the female closer to him and the nest. and yes as the hen sits on eggs dad will continue to feed the first youngster..and putting up the dovecote is great because if the young one is a male and he finds a mate he'll bring it home and they may reside in it :) they all wont fit in the gutter :) good luck with your pigeons and have fun

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hi folks,

I posted for the first time last week to tell you about the white homers that had a baby in my redundant cast iron gutter box on the front of my house. Their baby fledged a week ago today and has been living either in the tree opposite or sleeping on the roof of my house. I noticed yesterday that his parents are still feeding him which is a relief as I haven't seen him eating anything - his parents feed from my bird table.

Today I notice that his parents are back in the gutter box and the one I thought was Dad is cooing all the time. I'm attaching my pics of them again. The white and brown one (on the left) is the one that spends the most time with the baby during the week and is the one cooing - does this mean it's Mum? She/he is very tame and let me hand feed it this week. The other one is around a lot less although as I said, is now sitting in or on the gutter box. Is it usual to still be feeding an infant and be laying again? I'm overjoyed that they appear to be in the gutter box and cooing again and am curious as to whether this means we'll eventually end up with lots of pigeons or if it means the youngster/s will move on? Despite the fact I can't catch them (well I could the brown/white one I guess) I am getting a dovecote on Monday that they could use (I know I've been told it's unlikely they will) but if they don't it looks very attractive and I could always get some birds for it at a later date (I would move it into my large back garden in that case). I have bought safflower seeds which I'm going to put on the table of the dovecote to entice them.

Poo, it won't let me attach the photo again because I've posted it before, anyway the parents can be seen in my album.

Any comments or advice would be most welcome. I am so enjoying watching these gorgeous birds:D

Thanks.

Liz
Hi again limow........I'm glad you decided to get your dovecote , you can only but try and entice them in it and see how you go .......the fact you are gaining their trust is a BIG plus .

It's not unusual to still be feeding and infant as you say .......while the hen is on eggs , she will most likely refuse the youngster , but the cock bird will see the youngster fed until he can for himself .

I look forward to seeing your dovecote ......good luck with everything !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya,

So the brown and white bird that's doing the cooing and feeding the youngster is the cock?

What I don't understand is how the youngster would be likely to find a mate? Would he/she court a feral pigeon? Or would it end up pairing up with a brother/sister from his parents' subsequent brood?

We mostly have wood pigeons around here although I have spotted a much sleeker looking dark grey pigeon with red legs in the garden recently. Lost homing pigeons tend not to be a regular feature in Surrey so I keep imagining the poor chap being rather lonely.

More great news - the dovecote is being delivered tomorrow morning, yay! I will post pics:) Not sure the best spot for siting it? Would it be better close to the trees and rhododendron bushes or a bit more open?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
he would most likely go look for a mate, or yes he may mate with a sister, it has happened and some breeders do it, but not many...anyway you can put it near the tree but not to near that a cat or squerrel will be able to climb tree and get to it. congrats on the dovecote..i know you are excited :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mega excited:)

I also breed dogs and recoil in horror at people doing close matings (it can reinforce great type but also doubles up on hereditary diseases and faults) but if the pigeons do it living in the wild, what can I do? ..... :)

Would he mate with a feral pigeon then?

Are the squirrels a threat to the pigeons? My front garden is full of them and they share the bird tables. I may put some canes with chicken wire wrapped around them to form a barrier around the bird tables and the dovecote to make it very difficult for my cat to get them. She has bells on her collar and a bird scarer collar that bleeps when she leaps (or is meant to!) but it is a great worry.

Thanks for your replies.

Horseart4u - I see you are in Florida. Did the shuttle take off in the end?

Liz

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hiya,

So the brown and white bird that's doing the cooing and feeding the youngster is the cock?

What I don't understand is how the youngster would be likely to find a mate? Would he/she court a feral pigeon? Or would it end up pairing up with a brother/sister from his parents' subsequent brood?

We mostly have wood pigeons around here although I have spotted a much sleeker looking dark grey pigeon with red legs in the garden recently. Lost homing pigeons tend not to be a regular feature in Surrey so I keep imagining the poor chap being rather lonely.

More great news - the dovecote is being delivered tomorrow morning, yay! I will post pics:) Not sure the best spot for siting it? Would it be better close to the trees and rhododendron bushes or a bit more open?
Great stuff Liz

I am guessing it is the cock bird looking after the baby ......they will still share the nesting duties tho ........cock birds usually sit during the day and the hen from 5pm til late next morning .

The youngster will be come sexually active 6 months or thereabouts......he may meet his mate by chance .....it just happens they find each other :)

I would say at a distance far enuff so an inquisitive cat couldn't swing across from a tree and possibly an intruder ......and so long as they have a couple of entry points that enable them for a clear landing ...I guess in the end it will be up to you .

I can't wait to see it :D

Darren

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi Liz, Yes it did as a matter of fact it did have a delay with 31 seconds left but it went up around 11:30 am our time.. me and my daughter watched it online :)

Can't wait to see your dovecote go up and the wire around the pole will help keep squirrels off it...you can keep feeding them on the table if thats is ok with you, they aren't messing with the birds there are they? just looking out for the eggs and young in cote.. TTYL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh well, that will teach me to open my big mouth - the birds have gone:(

I haven't seen the parents for a few days and even the youngster has stopped sleeping on the roof or living in the trees - guess he now lives with Mum and Dad full time and Mum and Dad have decided to next elsewhere i think.

Poo :(

Guess I need to get something to put in my dovecote now.

Liz

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My bet is that they haven't completely gone yet ........:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whytwings, you were absolutely right! They are back! The youngster is now able to land on the bird table so is getting good meals and his parents are back to cooing and sitting in the gutter box getting all broody:)
I now have a dovecote full of birds patiently sitting out the 'homing' period!
Liz

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You know , before I made my last post .......there are two Villa's in my area that I know there are two sets of pigeons nesting ..........in each of the two houses those same pairs are still nesting there . I gather the owners must know they are there and allow them to stay , so if they are successful in rearing hatchlings and they feel safe , they are there for the long haul :)

How is the dovecote going ??..........did I tell you I was jealous ?? ......hehehe
I really hope the youngster makes a move and gets in there soon > is safflower doing the trick ???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Darren,

The dovecote is proving a bit of a challenge as I'm having to keep adding more and more bamboo sticks and chicken wire to act as a barrier for my cat (to keep her further from the net). I've got four short tailed doves, a black and a white fantail and a pair of nuns in there - all absolutely gorgeous and settling in well:D

The parents are cooing all day long in the gutter box and the youngster sits and watches. It would be great if he joined the flock when the netting comes off.

It's strange that the parents and youngster disappeared for so long (the cock bird came back a few times to feed) but it's lovely now that they are all back.

The youngster is changing daily - he was originally white with slight grey markings on chest, he's now getting really speckly on his head and the grey is getting much darker - think he's going to end up looking very similar to his Mum.

I just really hope that the birds all decided to stay once the net finally comes off. I'm hoping by then they will be used to the feeding routine so will at worst come back to eat. The nuns and fantails are pairs, so if they have babies whilst in there, that would certainly help.:p

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hi Darren,

The dovecote is proving a bit of a challenge as I'm having to keep adding more and more bamboo sticks and chicken wire to act as a barrier for my cat (to keep her further from the net). I've got four short tailed doves, a black and a white fantail and a pair of nuns in there - all absolutely gorgeous and settling in well:D

The parents are cooing all day long in the gutter box and the youngster sits and watches. It would be great if he joined the flock when the netting comes off.

It's strange that the parents and youngster disappeared for so long (the cock bird came back a few times to feed) but it's lovely now that they are all back.

The youngster is changing daily - he was originally white with slight grey markings on chest, he's now getting really speckly on his head and the grey is getting much darker - think he's going to end up looking very similar to his Mum.

I just really hope that the birds all decided to stay once the net finally comes off. I'm hoping by then they will be used to the feeding routine so will at worst come back to eat. The nuns and fantails are pairs, so if they have babies whilst in there, that would certainly help.:p
I have Nuns also , but I recently lost one after it was chased from home by a Murry Magpie , they should do ok so long as you don't have similar birds that are territorial like the Magpie .

I'm glad there back .......I think it's enevitable , if not this youngster , maybe the next babies from the gutter box that they will catch on with the dovecote .

Good luck .......and I will check back on your albums from time to time .

Regards ,

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
limow even tho you have the doves in with pigeons they usually don't home like you think, they may take off after you remove the net. the fantails should stay as well as the nuns, but i wouldn't hold your breath on the short tailed doves...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts